Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

Need Help Scoring this Carp

I got some pictures of this muley (I know this is coues but he is big) in unit 39 on water. I was wondering if I could get some guesses on the score of this guy.

post-539-1126408892.jpg

I come up with 184. Regardless of my guess he's a keeper :)

Dang Matthewp45, My guess would be .....I would prolly take him over any average coues out there :)

I come up with 184. Regardless of my guess he's a keeper B)

Hey, I only saw the first pic. That buck just got bigger with the other angles.

I'm going with 193 gross :)

Guest Ernesto C

That's the type of deer that you shot first and ask questions later. :)

Ernesto C

A responsable hunter makes clean,humane kills

I got some pictures of this muley (I know this is coues but he is big) in unit 39 on water. I was wondering if I could get some guesses on the score of this guy.

I won't even guess ... it's a beautiful buck and no sane hunter would pass it up, but am I the only one to wonder just what it is? Its body shape and antler configeration (forget the abnormal forked rear tines) say "whitetail" to me. But that tail is something else. It's neither mule deer or whitetail. Could it be a hybrid?

Bill Q

I won't even guess ... it's a beautiful buck and no sane hunter would pass it up, but am I the only one to wonder just what it is? Its body shape and antler configeration (forget the abnormal forked rear tines) say "whitetail" to me. But that tail is something else. It's neither mule deer or whitetail. Could it be a hybrid?

Bill Q

I've seen deer in CA that had a mule deer tail with a thin black line down the tail. I've always considered them a cross between a mule deer and a blacktail deer. Have also seen pics of muleys from Texas with this thin black line. So who knows for sure.

This buck has that line but it only goes a short ways down the tail. What ever he is I'd say he leans heavily towards the muley side and he is BIG :)

Very Nice length and some ok mass Most the way out. A bit shy on the spread though and that makes a diferance. I would say 180 at the most but most likly a bit shy of that. Looks to be a solid 4x5 to me the one side is hard to see but you can see a sure 5 and eye gaurd on the one side. Almost touching in the back That would make a outstanding mount.

Very nice Buck in my book for sure. I would shoot him with no problem (other than the shakes) :)

"I've seen deer in CA that had a mule deer tail with a thin black line down the tail. I've always considered them a cross between a mule deer and a blacktail deer. Have also seen pics of muleys from Texas with this thin black line. So who knows for sure. This buck has that line but it only goes a short ways down the tail. What ever he is I'd say he leans heavily towards the muley side and he is BIG"

Mike:

California has several subspecies of mule deer, including one known as the California mule deer. It lives outside the Columbia blacktail's range but it has a blacktail's wide, black tail.

The tail on the buck in these photos is long and rope-like and looks like the bottom half was dipped in brown paint. It also does not have the markings of a mule deer. There is no dark forehead patch and its smallish ears are not marked like a mule deer's.

That tail, though, definitely is not a whitetail's!

Bill :)

I think the red summer coat and the fact that the flash from the camera may be washing the picture out somewhat is adding to some of the confusion. Maybe :)

I think the red summer coat and the fact that the flash from the camera may be washing the picture out somewhat is adding to some of the confusion. Maybe :)

I agree. Definitely a Desert Mule Deer and a very large one at that. I think he could definitely gross in the 180's.