kidso

Central Arizona Bear

Well, not the biggest by any means, but a beautifully-colored sow, which is also my first ever archery bear! Unit 23 north, two weeks ago.

post-4429-1279318276_thumb.jpg

post-4429-1279318298_thumb.jpg

post-4429-1279318306_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the bear. Neat color.

Interesting shot placement :) Dead is dead I guess.

The head shot was snapped off and the six inches of arrow that went in behind the eye angled down into the neck and cut away. That shot did the deed.

Here is the link to my full story on another forum if you care to read it.

http://www.thearizonahunter.com/forum/view...f=16&t=4814

To each his own. It's his tag and it's a legal bear so he should be able to take whatever legal bear he wants. I think it is pretty cool with a bow as well.

for the record smaller bears weigh less went you pack them out.

nice bear nice shot. i shoot the same bow but i dont think i have the same accuracy.

That thing is a cub. Why would you shoot a 50 pound bear? Guess you could make a toilet seat cover.

It might not be the biggest bear shot but some bears here in az just don't get to big. I said some bears! My brother shot a bear about the same size and we found out later it was 4yrs old.

I congratulate you on your first bear and I'm sure the old heart was pumping 90 miles an hour. Thanks for sharing and don't let the negative response get to ya. Awesome! :)

TJ

I agree with TJ, dont let the negative response get to ya... Taking a bear with your bow is a pretty big feat in itself! congrats!!

I agree with TJ, dont let the negative response get to ya... Taking a bear with your bow is a pretty big feat in itself! congrats!!

You bet! :)

TJ

Hi,

I could care less about negative reponses, as it simply is a maturity thing and some of us have more of that to do than others. I too, years ago, once ripped a hunter for having what I deemed to be a "small" bear in his camp, but over the years have become less judgemental about things of that nature. Although this was my first "archery" bear, I have called in by hand and harvested two other Arizona bears by "rifle" that had skull measurements of 20 9/16 and 17 1/4 inches. This 30 pound toilet seat cover has a current skull measurement of 14 inches and is still drying, but it is a sweeter trophy to me than any other bear I've taken thus far. Its not the size of the kill, but the thrill and enjoyment of the hunt that matters.

Keith

• Like 1

Kidso,

I have had a few opportunities to shoot bears that I have passed.... I once pased a bear about that size with my bow at a range of less than 20 for over 10 minutes with video rolling. I passed because it was rubbed and thin.... and I was looking for something bigger. I have since learned a lot about how to cook bear meat and now, might have a really hard time passing on some tasty bear hams if I had the chance. ;) Congrats on your first with a bow. Next time it will be easier to hold out when the boo boo bear is infront of you. ;) Oh, and nice shot! Did you really try for that? :blink:

Maturity you say, I would think at your age you would have the maturity as a hunter to pass on something like that and not have to kill it just to have a succesful hunt. I would have took some video and maybe looked for it next year when it was longer than your 36 inch bow. I mean you have killed 2 nice bears already. Even worse is everyone is saying that its a nice bear. Its not, its a very young very small sow that had no chance to grow and breed before it got an arrow in its head. heck maybe you thought it was a coyote when you shot.