Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

First bull of the season

I had the opportunity to guide a wildlife management hunt Friday in the Round Valley unit. We (Rod Miskin and I) guided Kent to a nice bull that morning. First 6x6 I have seen on the ground with velvet still intact. There were two other bulls that were quite a bit bigger but this one was just fine. Kent was really stoked about this bull. Kent's friend Curtis helped out too and glassed up bulls. It was an awesome sight to see 20+ bulls single file headed across a pasture with a couple of 390" monsters in there!

post-131-1279431166_thumb.jpg

Here is a closer one to show the great G1s and 2s this bull had.

post-131-1279431314_thumb.jpg

His first shot didn't get much in the way of vitals- just the liver near as I could tell. He went about 1/4 mile and ended up in the bottom of a draw where he caught up with him and applied the finishing touches. We were able to get a 4-wheeler to within 8 yards of him! When he fell in those rocks. He dinged up his velvet unfortunately. The bull did us a favor when he didn't die in his bed and walked over a ridge to where there was an old road.

Technically 2nd bull of the season haha. We heard you guys shoot as we were taking pictures of the bull our hunter shot.. Good bull tho. About the same size as the one we killed, to bad we shot the wrong bull. Definently a little different hunting elk in july.

Shane, he shot once and then caught up with the bull about 30 minutes later and shot twice more in short succession. You guys may well have shot first but I asked Rod and he said that Kent's first shot was the first shot he heard. It was OUR first bull of the the season that we expect to have many more nice bulls taken in!

Dennis

Nice work guys!

I heard now that someone may have shot one earlier than either of us way up the highway by the green gate- who knows. Good to meet you too!