Sign in to follow this  
mason a

what's the best scope??

I bought my son a 243 remington model 700

We are going back and forth on which scope to put on this gun.

The 3 options are:

1.vortex viper 6.5-20x50 30mm tube ,v plex reticle, new but open box total price 350$

2. leupold vx 2 4-12x50 LR duplex reticle , new , total price 430$

3.nikon monarch 4-16x50 sf matte black , nikoplex reticle, new, total price 380$

Whatever I get I,m planning on getting a kenton turret. From what I understand the vortex viper says it has target turrets, but I don't see any moa numbers on the turret , does that mean just count clicks in your head?

Anyhow any advice or opinions would be great. We are looking to shoot out to 600 yards max.

I would DEFINTAELY stay way away from the 6.5-20.

If I were in your spot, I would look for a simple 3-9 or 3.5-10 something in that range.

Go with option # 3. Or go with Nikon 6 X 18 X 44 BDC Buck Master. Let us know what you decide.

Ernesto C

just remember, probably no matter how good of a scope you get, if you crank it up to 16X power in low light conditions there is not going to be enough light to see through it.

I would DEFINTAELY stay way away from the 6.5-20.

If I were in your spot, I would look for a simple 3-9 or 3.5-10 something in that range.

This was the option i was first looking at, and I still may go with , but I was trying to meet somewhere in the middle , because my son who is now 12 , has been using my rifle that has a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 scope on it , And he now knows how sweet it is to use a quality scope, So how much is too much on a 243? In 5 or 6 years his younger brother may get this gun , but then again he may want to take it with him. The other problem is that he killed a cow elk at 580 yards and then a coues at 538 yards last year using that scope, so he knows how important a quality scope is. Don't get me wrong he will be happy with whatever we decide to do, I think it's more me than him who wants a high power scope on that 243 , watching him make those 2 long shots was something special as his father,so I guess it's me wanting to give him that better scope ,but then again a 243 probably is not the best long range caliber. but either way we will set it up with a timney trigger and load him some good berger bullets , who knows it may be a long time before he has to make another long range shot. He is not picky , He told me anything with horns.

Anyhow we are still looking at all options.

Thanks for the all the advice!

3.nikon monarch 4-16x50 sf matte black , nikoplex reticle, new, total price 380$

This in my opinion is the best scope for the money out there. I've used it for years and the quality and clarity is top notch.

Mike

Out of those 3 I would go with the Vortex. My reasoning would be the warranty and the higher magnification. All 3 are good scopes and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up with.

Votex does have a really good warranty. I'm eye ballin a Viper 4-12x44 for $400 NIB. I like the turrets on the Viper as well. May not be as tall as a Kenton, but a thin strip of masking tape, a pen, and some range time, for me, would be a less expensive solution.

BUT VIPER FOR $350!?! You should go with option 3 and let some other poor smuck pick up the Vortex. ;-)

you can't go wrong with a leupold but i'd get a vx3, but casey says stay away from the 6.5x20 so that's a good reason to get it. i never saw a nikon i cared much for tho. leupold, vortex, burris, zeiss, swarovski, always good options. nikon is the high end of the cheap scopes. the top of the line cabelas scopes seem to be fair also. i really like a .243, but 600 yards is gonna be a stretch. Lark.

We got a scope for his gun , it was a compromise from my original plan ,but it will work just fine.

My friend saw that i was looking for a scope and sold me his leupold VX II 3-9x40 LR duplex still in the box for 200$ .