Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

lion season

Does anyone know what the reason for closing the season during the summer months?

Momma kitty does not take her babies with her. dont want to shoot a nursing mom and the kits die. have to wait till their weaned. IMO...

that or they dont want to go out and find some old fat hunter who did not have enough water... No offense to anyone who might take offense...;)

Momma kitty does not take her babies with her. dont want to shoot a nursing mom and the kits die. have to wait till their weaned. IMO...

that or they dont want to go out and find some old fat hunter who did not have enough water... No offense to anyone who might take offense...;)

:angry: :angry: :( ;)

TJ

They can breed any time of the year.

because the azgfd is stupid. they did it because a couple high profile guides didn't want anyone shooting liions when it was too hot for em to run their hounds. all the change did was take 25% of the lion season away from 99% of the hunters. i was out today in some top notch lion country that i've killed a lot of lions in and was wondering what i'd do if i saw one. got all pissed off all over again. it isn't a good law and has it has no biology to back it up. lions breed any time and have kit anytime. if someone says contrary, they're either a liar or ignernt. it's already illegal to shoot a female with kits. dammit, i wasn't gonna get pissed off tonight. Lark.

because the azgfd is stupid. they did it because a couple high profile guides didn't want anyone shooting liions when it was too hot for em to run their hounds. all the change did was take 25% of the lion season away from 99% of the hunters. i was out today in some top notch lion country that i've killed a lot of lions in and was wondering what i'd do if i saw one. got all pissed off all over again. it isn't a good law and has it has no biology to back it up. lions breed any time and have kit anytime. if someone says contrary, they're either a liar or ignernt. it's already illegal to shoot a female with kits. dammit, i wasn't gonna get pissed off tonight. Lark.

When they changed this it really pissed me off. Not because I want to hunt lions when it is 115 outside but because the only reason the change was made was because anti hunters where asking the commision to limit the season and the commision said that statistically so few lions are killed this time of year that it wouldn't matter either way. So they just changed the management plan based soley on the fact a conservation group was asking them to and didn't use any kind of biological reasoning.

anybody that this didn't piss off is an anti hunter. several of the hound guys were all for it and were the ones that led the charge. a game warden on this sight, after i challenged him about it, said that the "lion hunters" didn't want to run their dogs when it was so they changed it. who cares? if they don't want to run their hounds when it's hot there ain't a law that says they have to. it's too hard to catch a lion when it's hot and dry anyway. but don't take 25% of the season away from the other 99% of the guys that would love to get a lion. so ya wait your whole life to see a lion and then when ya do, ya can't shoot it because some anti hunter might complain or because outfitter doesn't want you shooting lions he might be able to catch for a client later on. the lion hunters are the guys that buy tags, not just the couple dozen guys with hounds. it all boils down to the fact that the azgfd took 25% of the lion season away from 99% of the hunters. who kills the most lions in this state? i'll tell ya. guys hunting deer, elk, javelina, varmint hunters. guys out killing some time in the hills. guys looking for antlers. folks just getting out of town. the azgfd talks this big story about increased opportunity and then they go do something as stupid as this. all to pacify a couple guys with hounds and anti hunters. every time the azgfd makes a decision the only people it ever hurts is hunters and anglers. it never hurts the antis and huggers. it's always "bend over fellers, the huggers need a little pacifyin' and the only way we can do it is to screw you guys. but please keep buying tags and supporting the cause. even these @$$holes just cost us money, we gotta keep em happy." Lark.

I get a tag every year and have never had the chance to fill it! Thought it was dumb when they did it and didnt make any sence! Would always take the rifle with me in June and July when looking for new water sources and now just bring the pistol. One of these times I going to get a chance at a lion and the season will be out and that's crap! What's next a season on coyotes and rabbits to make someone happy?

I saw a lion in 4b last weekend at about 150yrds. out! It knew it wasn't season cuz it just kind of trotted off and never really hual boody when it saw me! Man if I could have that chance again in a few more weeks I'd be takeing that sucka home!!

I feel lions should only be harvested if you are actively persuing lions. Most lions are killed by guys out hunting other big game and happen to see them. If that is OK why cant a guy out running his hounds shoot a big whitetail when he rides by it ?

When I have a tag in my pocket, I'm actively persuing them at all times during open season. 3 and counting! :)

TJ

i try real hard to not attack anyone on this site, but that has to be one of the stupidest comments i've ever seen here. so the only guys that can shoot lions are guys out there with dogs? is that what you're saying? i'll give ya a chance to recant that before ya get buried. if a guy with hounds has a deer tag and it's season, he's welcome to shoot one. just like a guy hunting pigs that has a lion tag. i know all about what happened. most of it didn't take place in the meetting, but behind closed doors. Az. has such a lion problem, and it is a problem, that they allow a lion a day in a lot of units, trying to get a bunch of em shot. and then they go and do this. the guys that are for this are for themselves. how many more lions will be shot in the months the season is closed? not very dang many. but it is pure bull for the azgfd to take 25% of the season away from 99% of the hunters in order to placate anti hunters and outfitters. again, that is a jackass comment. i guess you feel like you can't shoot a coyote unless you're coyote hunting. if you call in a fox when you're trying to call in a coyote do you let it run? or, if you see a lion, are you gonna not shoot it? again, stupid comment. everyone that hunts should be offended by your comment. Lark.

Lark, your getting all worked up again. Thats 2 days in a row. Don't let ignorance draw you in, listen to that comment again and you will roll over on your back with giggles. Just like TJ said. If i have a tag in my pocket and it's open season then I'm actively persuing the kitty. Besides, how does one demonstrate "activley pursuance". Hmmmm must have to have hounds. If you think about it the general hunters are far less likely to corner a cat than one that has the dogs doing the work for ya!

Lark you need to calm down there Turbo.

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion on here.

I was at all the meetings and at the public comment sessions regarding this issue. If Game and Fish is so easily influenced by " a few high profile guides " How come the take on lions isn't unlimited? Cause there are a dang lot more outfitters that would be in favor of that rather then closing lion season for 3 months? How come these "high profile guides" haven't convinced G and F that all non-residents need to hire a guide if they draw a permit like in Alaska? Come on man, use some logic.

The season was closed for social reasons. There was no sound biology to warrant the closure. Lions were at the time, our only biggame species that was open year round/ not restricted, G and F felt to save face with the public and not upset the hunters too much this was the best option they had. They feared that if they said no to the closure that it would set off the antis to put it to a public vote and we'd lose the season all together like California.

How come your not crying that deer season is only open a few weeks out of the year? I'm out all the time and see nice bucks and I'm not crying that G and F took away 90% of the deer season for 100% of the deer hunters? Deer season used to be year round back in the day.

You said it yourself and if you look at the numbers very very few of the 300 some lions that are takin in Az every year are killed during these 3 months, so what's the big deal? If you are out in the woods that much and happen to see a lion when the season is closed, so what, it'll happen again. Especially the wt hunters sitting behind binoculars, they are the ones killing the masses of lions.

How do you know Az has a lion problem? Cause you are hearing about more lions being seen? Perhaps that's cause there are 1000 guys in the woods everyday with cell phones and quality optics?

The multiple lion units that are open year round are like that to try and help the declining sheep populations in those areas.

You talk to the men that have dedicated their lifetime to hunting lions and they will be the first to tell you, there are just as many lions now as there have always been.

AK

i am always hunting lions, or was always hunting lions before they changed the dates. I don't like the use of dogs but would never come out and say they shouldn't be used. It just isn't my thing. If the state of Az sells me a tag, and I use a legal manner of take, whats the big deal? I would love to see the statistics on how many lions are killed by "hunters" and by houndsmen. Me thinks those numbers will favor the houndsmen.

hunt4horns---

" If you think about it the general hunters are far less likely to corner a cat than one that has the dogs doing the work for ya"

Really dude? Really?

You obviously know nothing about lions or how they are hunted, with or without dogs.

It takes ZERO knowledge to kill a lion that you just happen upon, and that's how the majority are killed.

cactusjack---

The numbers show, year after year, 3/4 of the lions are killed "accidentally" not by houndsmen.