Couldn't find the "Taxidermy" page so I posted here. So there I was, minding my own business while watching TV until something fell off of the plant shelf. After realizing how slowly the object floated to the carpet it dawned on me "those were feathers". The next thought I had was, "bugs". Sure enough, they got into this Mearns and a couple of Gambels I had up there. In all honesty, I wasn't too upset. It actually made me laugh after I got done blowing the remaining feathers off. I know that bugs are common in taxidermy but maybe some of you more experienced can shed some more light as to what mounts are more susceptible. I also managed to catch one of the bugs. Kinda gross but it is what it is. Enjoy......sort of.

post-500-1280191849_thumb.jpg

post-500-1280191861_thumb.jpg

Ive had those bugs get on my antlers that still had the hide on them but nothing so far on my mounts.

I think they are like or are the bugs that get into pastas and grains in your cabinets. Someone told me they thought

they were a type of beetle larva. One friend of mine had them in a couple of his deer, but only the ones that were

wet tanned i dont know if that makes a difference though.

Mark

Generally, they're beetles that are attracted by organic material that has lasted through the taxidermy process. They are generally more attracted by mounts in the velvet, or mounts that are difficult to get completely clean, but will move to all the available mounts.

The best way to get rid of the buggers is to freeze them out, whether you do all your mounts or just the ones that show symptoms. So, if you have a deep freezer, give it a couple days in there and you should be good to go.

AntlerObsession is right that the bugs are attracted by organic material left in the mount. Birds are the worst due to the fact the wing and leg bones are left in and that equals alot of organic material also many birds are dry preserved instead of tanned and that can cause problems over time. Next is the skull cap, or the horns on sheep/goats not being cleaned properly and leaving material there that attracts the bugs.

He is also correct that they will move to your other mounts and eat inorganic material also so you should get rid of them(the bugs) as soon as possible, either by freezing or by placing the mounts in a black trash bag and fogging them with a bug killer.

Dale

This is a good topic for everyone. Whether your mounts are new or old it can happen and ruin a great looking animal. I had two beautiful mallard ducks mounted together. Then one day my wife was cleanig and said where are these bugs coming from. It was to late by then. The ducks fell apart as we picked them up. On the other hand I have a quail that is over 30yrs okd that still looks good. Now that this post has come up I will debug my mounts.

Thanks for posting and a reminder for me to get off my butt and get it done. :)

TJ

Thanks guys! I knew there were some smart fellers on here. I have 2 shoulder mounts in the room but nowhere near where the birds were. Might be okay

Following the advice of an old time museum keeper, I use a fogger about once a year. I place it on a stool in the middle of the room where the trophies are and let it rip. You have to leave the house for 8 hours while it works. Make sure all food is put away and pantries and such are shut tight. So far, this has worked for me.

Those are Dermestid Beetles. they are found pretty much everywhere. these are the same beetles that I use to clean skulls for european mounts.

Sorry to see your birds get destroyed, but these things will eat everything!!

When I dropped off my mount to my taxidermist I was concerned about the bugs and my velvet antlers. He told me that antlers in velvet are more susceptible to the bugs and a good way to prevent them is to rub some borax on them once a year. Anyone else tried or heard of this?

found the same thing on an antelope mount today but not on the elk or deer that are in the same room.

post-4673-0-44461500-1469908827_thumb.jpeg

Picture isn't the best and it came out sideways. post-4673-0-44461500-1469908827_thumb.jpeg