First timer out in the field. My brother in-law and myself are complete newbs to the hunt and area. From what I have read here, glassing is the key to any area. Hiking a mile or two is a plus also. Has anyone hunted these units that would have advice for first timers? I think we are in this as a learning hunt, and not looking for the monsters....yet. Are there any locals here from these units?

What are the hunt dates? What rifle are you shooting? Where are you traveling from? What kind of shape are you in? ;) Let us know all the information you have and let's see if we can build on that.

Drawn for the Oct 22nd hunt. Will be comming out of southeast valley, Coolidge. I am in decent shape as I can hike and such. The plan a cousin has is to drive around until he finds something. I do not think this is the way to go and don't mind doing some hiking. I have a Marlin xl7 30-.06 that I plan on using.

You're probably not going to have much luck from the road but you dont necessarily need to be way out in the boonies either. Find an area that looks like good deer country to you (which is pretty much the whole unit) and start glassing !!! It wouldn't hurt to make a couple trips up here either to get a feel for the country....

I am not too familiar with the unit but I know when we go camping up there every year with the family we see tons of deer off the big lake road by diamond rock camp area. Got to be careful your awful close to unit one over there.

Was up a week and a half ago, and saw 3 bucks. PM me and I will let you in on some areas to scout. here is one that will be nice although he is a carp deer.

IMG_6379.jpg

We are planing a few scouting trips before the hunt. I want to see what we would be up against and to be ready for the big day.

Hmmmm, double hunt would be interesting. I will look into the area on the scouting trip next month. Thanks for the area advice.

Maple peak burned a few years ago and there are NO more deer there!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinda like 3C has no more elk or deer right!!!!

It honestly has been 15 years since I was in on Maple but back in the day it had alot of game on it. There was a burn on the North side of it at that time, old burn....lots of feed.......

If I had the gumption I would take my 27 tag to Maple again, but that is gonna take more that what I have left in the tank......

Maple peak is a spot for the ambitious, or, a guy with horses ;)

Last November when I was up elk hunting, I lost count of all the whitetail I saw east and west of Strayhorse campground. There are alot along the face of the rim. It is not the easiest area to hunt but...........

I've seen a decline of deer in unit 27 since the wolves were released up there. They also seem more skittish - if that is possible for a whitetail????

The fire by maple peak was in 2003, giving the area 7 years to grow. How much time after a fire does the habitat need to allow deer and elk back in to survive? I have heard that fire areas after some time offer great cover to hide and bed down in when the regrowth comes back in. Strayhorsecamping area is on our scouting list for the first of scouting trips. What type of camo is good within this elevation?