Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

Private land

Private land owners are supposed to grant access to public land through their property if there is access and it is the only access point. They can lock gates if their is 11 deeded acres at gate location. Also, the land is supposed to posted every 100 yds for no trespassing. If it is not, then it is not properly posted. If gates are locked, you can always look up land owners and call ans ask permission or while scouting go and ask.

Of course calling the AZGFD wildlife manager is best place to start.

Good luck!

ER

where did you come up with the 100yds posting law? as far as i know it is every quarter mile,unless it has changed. it would be usefull to me to know if it has.

Private land owners are supposed to grant access to public land through their property if there is access and it is the only access point. They can lock gates if their is 11 deeded acres at gate location. Also, the land is supposed to posted every 100 yds for no trespassing. If it is not, then it is not properly posted. If gates are locked, you can always look up land owners and call ans ask permission or while scouting go and ask.

Good luck!

ER

where did you come up with the 100yds posting law? as far as i know it is every quarter mile,unless it has changed. it would be usefull to me to know if it has.

its under A.R.S. 17-304. Prohibition by landowner upon hunting; posting; exception.

Private property must be marked every 1/4 mile with a sign or a stick with the top portion painted red. Don't always trust what a game and fish officer tells you, they are wrong sometimes. I even corrected one this past year after I read through the regs. He was very happy for letting him know. And you can't enter private property if your buddies, cousin, friend with the red truck that used to hunt there ten years ago gave you permission. David

Good luck!

ER

its under A.R.S. 17-304. Prohibition by landowner upon hunting; posting; exception.

ars17-304 states every quarter mile. thanks

Every quarter mile , every entrance way and every corner , must be posted.

So if your back yard isn't posted in the corners and at the back gate I can come shoot squirrels in it?

Dang! Lance beat me to it!

Here's the law. Note words in boldface:

17-304. Prohibition by landowner upon hunting; posting; exception

A. Landowners or lessees of private land who desire to prohibit hunting, fishing or trapping on their lands without their written permission shall post such lands closed to hunting, fishing or trapping using notices or signboards.

B. State or federal lands including those under lease may not be posted except by consent of the commission.

C. The notices or signboards shall meet all of the following criteria:

1. Be not less than eight inches by eleven inches with plainly legible wording in capital and bold-faced lettering at least one inch high.

2. Contain the words "no hunting", "no trapping" or "no fishing" either as a single phrase or in any combination.

3. Be conspicuously placed on a structure or post at least four feet above ground level at all points of vehicular access, at all property or fence corners and at intervals of not more than one-quarter mile along the property boundary, except that a post with one hundred square inches or more of orange paint may serve as the interval notices between property or fence corners and points of vehicular access. The orange paint shall be clearly visible and shall cover the entire aboveground surface of the post facing outward and on both lateral sides from the closed area.

D. The entry of any person for the taking of wildlife shall not be grounds for an action for trespassing unless the land has been posted pursuant to this section.

But shouldn't a responsible and ethical hunter know where he/she is while hunting and ask permission of the land owner to enter his/her private land to hunt or retrieve down game? Am I way off base here guys or do I need to exploit the law and just hope not to get caught by the land owner.

Arizona is different than other states that require the hunter to know where he is hunting. Arizona has such a checkerboard of private, BLM, State, and Federal land it makes it difficult unless you are a surveyor to know exactly where the boundaries are. There are many tracts of land inside the Forest Service boundary that are private and there may or may NOT be a fence around the private section.

It is really not hard to post your property. Our property is adjacent to Forest Service, and we easily posted it. And it held up in court when we found a hunter who had disregarded the signs and set up camp on our property.

As far as getting caught, if it is NOT posted properly, the only recourse the land owner has is to personally ask you to leave. And then and only then if you do not leave are you in violation of the trespass laws.

Also, check out the Arizona state land office website. You can use their online map to see where all of the state lands are. Unfortunately their website is not very user friendly (actually its pretty bad).

http://www.land.state.az.us/maps/server_he...online_maps.htm

The state site is awful at best. Way to slow.

Try this one. I think you will find it much better. ;)

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

I don't see how to determine ownership with this sites data. Probably a keyboard chair interface issue, but help me out please.

Also, check out the Arizona state land office website. You can use their online map to see where all of the state lands are. Unfortunately their website is not very user friendly (actually its pretty bad).

http://www.land.state.az.us/maps/server_he...online_maps.htm

The state site is awful at best. Way to slow.

Try this one. I think you will find it much better. ;)

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

I don't see how to determine ownership with this sites data. Probably a keyboard chair interface issue, but help me out please.

The color code in the box at the right under the "layers" tab tells you the ownership. ;) I noticed that there is some registration errors between the land ownership pattern and the legal boundaries so you need to pay attention to the legal lines to determine where the private and public lands are.

We heard that Geocommunicator was going to go away within a year.