TREESTANDMAN

SAKO 85 FINNLIGHT .270 WSM

Thanks Casey, I'll try that one out for sure.

One thing I just realized that I DON'T like about my new SAKO model 85 is that Simms nor anyone else does not make a recoil pad to fit the but end of the rifle!! Sako/Tikka's factory recoil pads are as hard as a rock. The butt end of the model 85 in the synthetic has a weird curve to it which will not allow any screw on recoil pad to fit. Bummer!

Mike

WOW! I just got a nasty pm and a text from two members that were a little offended at my "down-talking" Remington. Just to clarify, I never said Remington sucks.... I just think if you are getting a factory rifle with no intention of changing out the barrel, your chances of getting a "shooter" are higher with a company that guarantees a group of 5 shots under an inch than a company that does not. I'm a little ignorant when it comes to rifles so I'm just going based on what I've heard and read.

Mike

You picked up a fine rifle Mike. I have nothing against Remingtons and have killed a lot of game with my model 700, but if both (factory rifles) were laying on a table and you were told to pick one (for free) I know which one I'd pick...

Mike, rifles are like women......which one you like the brunette (sp) or the blonde??

I like both of them.......I dont discriminate!! :lol:

Ernesto C :D

I guess Remington has such a good reputation that it doesn't need to advertise a guaranteed 5 shot MOA under 1".

WOW! I just got a nasty pm and a text from two members that were a little offended at my "down-talking" Remington. Just to clarify, I never said Remington sucks.... I just think if you are getting a factory rifle with no intention of changing out the barrel, your chances of getting a "shooter" are higher with a company that guarantees a group of 5 shots under an inch than a company that does not. I'm a little ignorant when it comes to rifles so I'm just going based on what I've heard and read.

Mike

OK, I will say it, Remington 700s suck just like most every other mass produced rifle. They are just easy to work on because they were designed for ease of production and there are myriad after market products for them. Of the 5 or 6 that I have had, none would shoot 1" or smaller groups @100 yds without a lot of work, some never would at all. I have/had two Sakos, both were better than any of the Remingtons. Casey is right about your recoil pad, if it had been a 700, you could pick a pre-fit up at Sportsmans for it.

For rifles under $1000, you will not find a more accurate rifle than a Savage 112 or Vangard sub MOA. I personally wouldn't buy a .270 WSM mag because of the lack of good quality bullets for it. A .270 WSM has NEVER won a major F-class or long range BR match, the 7mm WSM and 300 WSM have won many. That is saying something.

A fix for your recoil pad would be to put that stock in a chop saw with a carbide blade, tape a few wraps of tape around it and cut it off flush with the beginning of that abortion of a recoil pad. Then get you a grind-to-fit [Pachmayr decellerator, Simms et al]and install it.

Casey's load may or may not work in your rifle. The 270 WSM is very temperamental. You may have to try a few things to get it to work. Learning to reload with a 270 WSM mag is like learning to drive in a corvette with a 5-speed. Steep learning curve there.

Good luck.

Catclaw, Have you ever owned a .270 wsm?

Thanks for the info man! Very straight forward! I considered a .300 wsm and even a .300 RUM however I didn't want to need a muzzle break. I almost wish I would have gone with a .308 because I've heard they are good for reloading and you can shoot the heck out of the barrels without burning them up? I didn't get a .270 wsm to win any competitions so if they are not pinpoint accurate at 800 yds it won't hurt my feelings. The chop saw idea is a good one and actually one I will probably end up doing after I see how bad the recoil is.

I didn't know they had 7mm WSM?

Mike

I learned how to load on a 223 wssm, you will be fine. I learned a lot really quickly on that little roumd. The 140 AB is a great bullet for a 270wsm

I don't have one, I played with one for a while and a couple of friends have had them. I originally thought it would be the cat's a$$ for WT hunting but after looking at the ballistics, I decided it was not any better than a lot of other rounds out there. It is certainly flatter that what I am shooting right now (6.5x284). They are more finicky than some calibers and there isn't a large selection of match-grade bullets. Other than that, it is a fine round and should be perfect for the shots you are talking about.

We get way too worked up over certain calibers when in reality, there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between them in field work. I would try R17 if I were you.

I am speaking of experience here...

The 270wsm is a wonderful round to carry for wt, elk etc. You can load light and shoot a 110 TTSX, or go up to 160's for what ever reason. The 140 Accubond of the 140 TTSX is the cats meow, and pushed at 3200-3300 FPS is just as good as any other round out there. Trust me on this one.

It hits hard and puts stuff down quick.

Casey, if you were to hunt deer, which one will you take? a 270 WSM or your 257 WBY MAG. and why?

Ernesto C

Ernesto,

I have one of each. I had my .257 made because I wanted it, not because I needed it. I am comfortable with them both out past 500, but since the .257 is the newer gun, thats what I carry but I would be comfortable with either one of them.