TREESTANDMAN

SAKO 85 FINNLIGHT .270 WSM

I'm considering a purchase of a .270 wsm as I had to sell my Tikka .270 wsm last year to pay debts. I want it to be fairly lightweight and also start re-loading which I have never done before. I will have a lot more time now to go to the range and work my way up to hopefully 600 yds or so. I loved my Tikka so I'm looking to get a little bit better quality of a rifle and thinking of going with the same maker in the Sako 85 Finnlight .270 wsm.

I know this is kind of a chevy/ford opinion question but what do you guys think? If price were not an issue?

1. Sako 85 Finnlight .270 wsm?

2. Remington 700 BDL .270 wsm?

3. Tikka .270 wsm?

4. Howa?

5. Thompson Arms?

6. Ruger?

7. Winchester?

8. Savage? ( Suprisingly my research recommeded a savage or stevens)

9. Weatherby Mark V or IV?

10. Weatherby Vanguard?

11. Kimber?

12. Other?

Lets hear you long range guys opinions!!

Remington 700, no question about it.

Cant beat the .270 wsm. I love mine and can give you plenty of load advice if you need it.

I have a weatherby vangaurd all weather in 270 wsm. I love the gun and love the caliber. However if your looking for a light gun your probably better off to go with the Sako 85 finnlight. its probably better quality too since vangaurd is weatherby's cheaper line of rifles.

Hey Casey, why would I go with the remington 700 over the sako or Weatherby Mark V or eve Tikka? From what I understand, remington barrels can be lemons or shooters and that is why they do not guarantee anything under an inch at 100 yds. They may have one of the better actions which is useful for custom barrels, but why risk getting a lemon barrel when I can be guarranteed a performer? I'm not saying your wrong, I've got 2 buddies that told me to go Remington 700 as well!

The guy at Sportsmans warehouse I talked to the other day said he once purchased a remington 700 .270 that shot 3" at 100 yds, yet he still tried to sell me the remington? Is there something I'm missing?

I would also look into the sako A7. Havent read too much about them but they look good on paper. I have been, and always will be a remington fan. Nothing wrong with a savage either.

Hey Casey, why would I go with the remington 700 over the sako or Weatherby Mark V or eve Tikka? From what I understand, remington barrels can be lemons or shooters and that is why they do not guarantee anything under an inch at 100 yds. They may have one of the better actions which is useful for custom barrels, but why risk getting a lemon barrel when I can be guarranteed a performer? I'm not saying your wrong, I've got 2 buddies that told me to go Remington 700 as well!

The guy at Sportsmans warehouse I talked to the other day said he once purchased a remington 700 .270 that shot 3" at 100 yds, yet he still tried to sell me the remington? Is there something I'm missing?

I have owned a dozen or more Remgington 700's in all different calibers from 22-250 to 7RUM. The fact of the matter is you can get a lemon in any rifle, any caliber. I personally believe the Remington is, and always has been the best production rifle there is. Now, thats not to say that I dont buy other rifles... I do and/or have owned a couple of Kimbers, still own a Mauser based custom (thats my 270 wsm in fact) and even a Winchester in .243... Year after year I go back to my Remingtons though and I think they are the best.

In all actuality, all you really need at 100 yards is a one inch group, and the rifle needs to hold that group out to your intended distance. If your rifle will shoot MOA consistantly at any distance, you are golden.

Plus, if you decided to upgrade parts (barrel, stock, bottom metal, trigger) every body in the world knows how to A. Get ahold of Remington parts and B. MOST gun smiths have vast experience with Remington rifles.

If, by chance you do get a lemon and are having a hard time getting it to shoot, send it to me and I will develop a load. Also, getting it rebarreled isnt that expensive (althought I know you are trying to stay away from that.)

If I were getting a new gun, or having one built. It would be either a :

1. Custom Action

2. Remington

The Sakos are nice guns though. I just think they are way over priced for what you get.

I have owned a dozen or more Remgington 700's in all different calibers from 22-250 to 7RUM. The fact of the matter is you can get a lemon in any rifle, any caliber. I personally believe the Remington is, and always has been the best production rifle there is. Now, thats not to say that I dont buy other rifles... I do and/or have owned a couple of Kimbers, still own a Mauser based custom (thats my 270 wsm in fact) and even a Winchester in .243... Year after year I go back to my Remingtons though and I think they are the best.

In all actuality, all you really need at 100 yards is a one inch group, and the rifle needs to hold that group out to your intended distance. If your rifle will shoot MOA consistantly at any distance, you are golden.

Plus, if you decided to upgrade parts (barrel, stock, bottom metal, trigger) every body in the world knows how to A. Get ahold of Remington parts and B. MOST gun smiths have vast experience with Remington rifles.

If, by chance you do get a lemon and are having a hard time getting it to shoot, send it to me and I will develop a load. Also, getting it rebarreled isnt that expensive (althought I know you are trying to stay away from that.)

Good point about most gunsmiths knowing Remington inside and out!

I do not own a Sako, but I was really interested in buying one until I found out they don't make lefties, but I did a ton of research on them so here is my two cents. The A7 is basically a Tikka with the Sako name on it, there is not much difference other than a little more metal, same cheapo stock, lots of plastic. I have read great reviews on the 85, definite increase in niceness compared to the A7, but heck, they'd probably shoot the same, all depends on your preference. Better yet if you can find a 75 that is like new, that would be the one to snatch up, the Sako nuts love that gun so they are hard to come by, but I heard that action is like butta.

I ended up purchasing a lightly used Sako SS 85 .270 wsm. synthetic stock. I really love the smooth action, the balance and ergonomics of the rifle. The cheek peice fits me perfectly when I bring it up which has been less comfortable with other rifles. I'm going to have a Simms recoil pad installed, adjust the trigger down to 2 and top it off with my Zeiss Conquest SS 4.5-14 *50 scope and take it to the range to site in!! Man I am excited!!

I also purchased all the fixings to re-load which I've never done before. It will be fun going through the process of finding that perfect load.

Mike

I ended up purchasing a lightly used Sako SS 85 .270 wsm. synthetic stock. I really love the smooth action, the balance and ergonomics of the rifle. The cheek peice fits me perfectly when I bring it up which has been less comfortable with other rifles. I'm going to have a Simms recoil pad installed, adjust the trigger down to 2 and top it off with my Zeiss Conquest SS 4.5-14 *50 scope and take it to the range to site in!! Man I am excited!!

I also purchased all the fixings to re-load which I've never done before. It will be fun going through the process of finding that perfect load.

Mike

H4831sc(about 61.5-63.5 grains... My sweet spot is 62.5-63.5), 140 Accubond, and Federal 215 Gold Medal Match primers.

Thank me later.