Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Best Chambering?

Interesting article. He has some good point about learning how to be profecient without relying on the biggest, fastest, hyper accurate rifles. I dont like muzzle blast at all, but I can't argue with distance and wind bucking abilities of a heavy bullet. I still like my hot rods, they have served me well. I always wondered if AZ has the highest per capita of big magnums; RUM, STW, Weatherby, various wild cats. I dont think he was concidering the AZ hunter who practices with his equipment and wants to take a coues across a windy canyon. I would have to agree with him for most of the US and rest of the world. If I lived back east, I wouldn't be haulin my RUM. I like my .243 too much. Thanks for sharing. With the title I though for sure it was going to be praising the 7mm-08.

The author sure is humble!

I was thinking the same thing!......... :lol: I dont think I will be giving up my 300 Ultra Mag..........EVER! LOL!

the author is just like LARK. full of S!!t

+1

Good article. It reminds me of the old joke, "why do I shoot a .45? Because they dont make a .46!" Since then they now make 46's and 50's. The quest for the biggest, fastest, strongest ...., has driven most industries, especially ones where our sensitive male egos are involved (motor sports, firearms, golf, ...). That being said, I can't wait for my 300 Tejas to show up!! ;) With that and the Leica 1600 that showed up yesterday, I should be able to shoot out to FOREVER!!!

The author CAN shoot though, he was IPSC world champion back when they used iron sighted 1911 .45acps...

He also has been in on the killing of more big game animals than any dozen hunters on this forum.

Bill Quimby

While I dont agree with everything he writes, the spirit of the article is great. Practice with something you are comfortable with and hunt with the same weapon. Forget about trajectory (flat trajectory does not mean less wind drift) and focus on practicality and use the right tool for the right job. Do all of that, and you WILL be dangerous.

A lot of good advice in this ...

The author CAN shoot though, he was IPSC world champion back when they used iron sighted 1911 .45acps...

He also has been in on the killing of more big game animals than any dozen hunters on this forum.

Bill Quimby

Wow- you speak so matter of factly about this!