Doves

Figured I'd share my super simple dove recipe in honor of today's opener:

Ingredients:

Dove Breasts

Milk

Hot Sauce

Salt

Pepper

Place dove breasts in zip-loc bag, add milk (enough to cover but not drench the breasts), tabasco or other hot sauce with discretion, salt, and pepper. Seal the bag and let it marinate in the fridge for as long as you like.

Remove the breasts from the bag (you can pat them dry or let them or air dry them but I never do) and place them on a foil covered oven sheet. Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes. You may choose to cover the breasts with foil as well...dried out birds aren't the best table fare. Serve and enjoy.

I've also wrapped bacon around each breast prior to placing them in the oven with this marinade. That's a tasty way to go too.

Figured I'd share my super simple dove recipe in honor of today's opener:

Ingredients:

Dove Breasts

Milk

Hot Sauce

Salt

Pepper

Place dove breasts in zip-loc bag, add milk (enough to cover but not drench the breasts), tabasco or other hot sauce with discretion, salt, and pepper. Seal the bag and let it marinate in the fridge for as long as you like.

Remove the breasts from the bag (you can pat them dry or let them or air dry them but I never do) and place them on a foil covered oven sheet. Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes. You may choose to cover the breasts with foil as well...dried out birds aren't the best table fare. Serve and enjoy.

I've also wrapped bacon around each breast prior to placing them in the oven with this marinade. That's a tasty way to go too.

Makes me hungry!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

OK. My buddy dropped off a couple dozen doves that he harvested last week and I remember reading about this recipie. In particular, I drooled over the thought of bacon-wrapped dove nuggets! So, I tried it out tonight! First, I de-boned the breast meat into two nuggets, per bird. Next, I soaked them in cold water for a mere five minutes to help draw out any remianing blood from the breat meat. After that, I placed them in a Zip-Lock bag with 0.5 cups white flour, 0.5 Tbsp salt, and 0.5 Tbsp black pepper and twirled the bag for about 3 minutes to ensure a nice coating of flour and spices on all sides of the breast meat. Then, I took each coated nugget and wrapped half a slice of smoked uncooked bacon around each one and placed them in a 9 x 13 glass cooking dish lined with tin foil. Finally, I baked them in the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes with tin foil wrapped over the top of the dish to keep in the moisture. However, after pulling them out of the oven, I decided to place some sharp cheddar cheese slices ontop of most of them and threw them back in the oven for about 2 minutes to melt the cheese.

These babies came out like miniature dove-cordon-blues, or something like that...but they are truly DELICIOUS!! I'll definitely cook another round this weekend.

post-4429-1285216155_thumb.jpg

post-4429-1285216166_thumb.jpg

Hay all I am putting my wife's patented killer dove stir fry recipe here goes

First and foremost before we get any marinading and cooking done put the freshley washed dove breast in salt water to soak overnight in the fridge, this removes blood and makes it easier to see any pellets left in the breasts.

Marinade 20 dove breasts overnight in 1 cup red wine, 1 cup terriaki or soy marinade, 1 tblsp of garlic salt, and 1/4 tblsp black pepper mix up and cover with plastic put in fridge overnight.

20 marinaded dove breasts de-boned and cut into small 1/4" cubes

1 cup of tai peanut sauce (jared or bottled store bought)

1/4 cup of olive oil (or peanut oil if you prefer as it has a high cooking temperature tolerence)

1 small bunch of fresh spinach (leaves only cut off stems)

1 to 2 cups of bean sprouts

1 small bag or 1 to 2 cups of snow peas

1 small head of broccoli (flowers only cut off stems)

1 small bunch of fresh green onions chopped (about 6 green onions)

We prepare steamed rice in a rice steamer about the same time as we start chopping the veggies, this way once the stir fry is done you can serve on top of a bed of steamed white rice.

In wak or large skillet heat oil (peanut oil) on low-med heat. Add chopped dove breasts. Cover breasts with peanut sauce. pile all fresh veggies on top of the dove breasts, this creates a steamer effect, steaming your veggies on top while the dove slowly cooks underneath. Cook uncovered on low heat, dove in sauce should be simmering lightly under veggie mountain. Cook this way untill you veggies start to soften, lift veggies with spatula to check on breasts lightly stirring meat. After veggies soften and start to look steamed mix everything together (make sure dove meat has fully cooked) let cook 15 minutes on low-med heat once mixed and serve over steamed rice.

All and all we are kids plus neighbors kids always asking for seconds.

Met some guys from Yuma at Clints Well last week. They had a yummy recipe. Filet meat off breast bone, pound thin with meat hammer, salt, pepper, dip in egg, favorite breading, then egg and breading again. Deep fry till crisp and brown. Gonna get the gun and dog out this weekend and give it a try.