Just to clarify, you are talking about the Ranch that is at the end of Mercer Ranch Rd. correct? If so, that stinks. We've hunted there for years. I will be calling the phone number today. Wish me luck since the October hunt is already full...

I drove from NM last Wednesday and scouted the unit 31. At 8pm I drove through Tapia's land. The gate was open. I camped that night, scouted during the day and left that area Thursday afternoon with no trouble. Can't say if I was lucky or what. what got me was that both roads in Black Canyon were blocked by other land owners.

so are the Mercer's going to have garbage cans at there campgrounds for disposal. Any camping I have done where you pay has some kind of service

There are no deer around Mercers ranch anyway. That would be the last place in unit 32 I would hunt.

There are no deer around Mercers ranch anyway.  That would be the last place in unit 32 I would hunt.

Yeah, they have all crossed the river, and now live near the dam. As for the javilina, just drive slow :D

Maybe "dam" was the wrong word to use. It's more of a large rocky wall that diverts the water if I remember right. A little ways East of the ranch in question.

Are y'all talkin bout that Mercer ranch owned by Roy D. Mercer. Don't let him catch ya in thar without payin up. He'll put a pop knot on yer head big enough to go 4-wheelin' on :huh: . Actually, I'm not familiar with the ranch or rancher, but I don't really like the idea of locked gates and payin up to get access. Those are public lands they are locking up. Not sure if we need to grouch at the ranchers for locking everything up or the public land managers for not finding alternate access. Probably need to grouch at the rntire situation to everyone we see. This can be a rough topic. I feel it is going to escalate in the future and turn into a huge fiasco. Just my 2 cents.

JVS maybe your onto something, doesn't the D. in Roy D. Mercer stand for Dam.

I WENT OUT QUIL HUNTING LAST WEAKEND BY MERCERS AND GOT IN FOR

DECEMBER. THINK IT WILL BE A GOOD HUNT. DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH

THE RANCHER DOING WHAT HE IS DOING.

I WENT OUT QUIL HUNTING LAST WEAKEND BY MERCERS AND GOT IN FOR

DECEMBER. THINK IT WILL BE A GOOD HUNT. DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH

THE RANCHER DOING WHAT HE IS DOING.

Welcome to Coueswhitetail.com :blink: I'll tell you what though, I sure am glad I dont have to pay a rancher to hunt on State land :blink: :ph34r:

The situation is frustrating. I love hunting the Galluros and only through a fluke this year myself and companions will not be backpacking in behind Mercers for our hunt. I accidently put in for Unit 32 Carp, and will be hunting the lower country instead.

My question though is why doesn't the appropriate land management agency excercise eminant domain and force a rancher who denies access to thousands of acres of public lands into granting public accesss easement?

Our government infringes apon the rest of our private property rights, why not this? Why can't they re-write their grazing contracts to allow for public access. It is rediculous that a large part of our land is completely off limits except to those who pay a grazing fee. I'm not educated enough on how much money that is and I respect the guys who are trying to make a living out there running cattle. But...... THEY DON'T OWN IT! WE DO, AND THEIR RUNNING CATTLE ON IT AND WE CAN'T HUNT IT AND THAT JUST SEEMS LUDICROUS!

Not done yet! Just opened up my second afterwork beer and had an idea. If our wonerfull "environmentalist friends" are capable of bringing most land management agencies to their knees by a flury of frivelous law suits, why can't we? Think of it for a second, if ranchers who deny access to public lands were sued by multiple individuals becuase they were locking gates and prohibiting us access, and stuck paying the legal fees to defend their actions, it would not take long before the lock becomes too expensive.

I think we have a strong case. We pay income taxes and a portion of that money goes to the Dept. of Agriculture. We pay taxes and every pair of binoculars, bullets, tent, waders, backpacks, etc. that goes to wildlife management. We buy hunting liscences and tags, we donate to wildlife organizations etc. In dollars and cents, we pay far more in percentage of what we harvest than any Rancher pays in his lease. Access easements should be a "NO BRAINER!"

I personally couldn't afford the cost of an attorney to levey a suit, but when I figure the cost of $20.00 a year to drive across Mercers Ranch for 1 mile, in ten years that's $200.00. I'd pitch that in now if others were willing and we talked to lawyers and figured out what we could do. I have a very good friend who is a lawyer and could at least tell me if this could work.