Sign in to follow this  
TexAz

Helping Kids

When my son hunted youth hunts i carried his rifle whenever it was needed, rough country or he was tired. I never checked if it was legal

or not wouldve carried it anyway. Dont think there is a problem with it since its a hunt to promote kids to hunt i dont think they would want

them to get discouraged quickly. If they are older and capable maybe not though.

Mark

you can carry your rifle too. even if you don't have a permit. or even a hunting license for that matter. as long you ain't a convicted felon you can pack a gun about anywhere in Az. Lark.

Carrying the rifle for the child does not create any issues. You want to be certain that you don't give the impression that you are trying to shoot the deer for the child. You can't finish off the deer, even if it looks like it might get away. That is the tag holder's job. But there is nothing inherently wrong with carrying the rifle for your grandchild.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Carrying the rifle for the child does not create any issues. You want to be certain that you don't give the impression that you are trying to shoot the deer for the child. You can't finish off the deer, even if it looks like it might get away. That is the tag holder's job. But there is nothing inherently wrong with carrying the rifle for your grandchild.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Thanks for the clarification. Is it then "ok" for someone to carry a rifle for ANYONE? Thanks

Jake

Yes, you can carry a rifle for someone else that has a tag. BUT, and this is where things get a little tricky for everyone, you don't want to act in any way as though you are hunting for them. While it is not explicitly illegal to look through their scope at an animal to determine if it is a possible buck or even a possible shot, an officer watching you might believe you are about to shoot. If you can, carry an unloaded firearm. You can do a lot that can be very convincing that you were not trying to fill someone else's tag, and you can also do a lot that makes it look like you intend to do it without doing something illegal. As always, our officers are faced with the preponderence of evidence and judges make final determinations.

Carry someone else's rifle if they need help. If they are capable of carrying their own rifle, that is always the best bet. I have often carried my wife's rifle when the going gets a little steep or long. When I'm a doddering old gink, I'll expect my sons to do that for me. Just try to keep the confusion to a minimum so that any officer that is trying to keep things legal can easily understand what is happening. We have to keep our behavior responsible and ethical, because you never know who might be watching. All those wildlife watchers, who may not be wildlife officers or hunters, also have the right to vote. If you behave responsibly, and they see that, they think more favorably about hunters and wildlife management the next time they go to the polls.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Thanks for all the info Brian! I have wondered the same thing since I carried a rifle for a friend who had some trouble navigating some small rock bluffs. It wasn't until afterwards that I wondered about the legality of helping a friend like that. Glad to know it's ok.

" When I'm a doddering old gink"

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

LOL, I like that... I think I'm there! :lol:

Thanks for the info, that was always our question when our kids were young.