Simple Hunter

25-06 first centerfire rifle?

My first deer rifle was a .308 at about 14 years old. I want to start my son off at 9-years old shooting the centerfire that he will use when he turns 10 and eligible for big game. I was thinking about a .25-06, less recoil than a .270 I am told, more knock-down than a .243

I'm sure there are some opinions out there...

I started on a 243. Also had a 25-06 i coulda used. I didn't start using the quarter bore till i was 14 or so. It was louder and more recoil. The 243 was better for me at 9 and 10. The 243 has pleny of power. If you don't have one, the 25 might do. I wasnt a very big kid. I tried the bigger stuff when i was little. My dad encouraged me to use what i was comfortable with. Later he told me it was mostly due to the bad habits of flinching and yanking the trigger.

I have a 7 year old and I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. I was planning on the .243 but I let my boy shoot a .250 savage at the range the other day and that's the plan now. Very little recoil and a very efficient cartridge. We are going to find an old savage rifle and rebarrel it. Should be a fun build and something we can do together.

Just something else to think about.

I think that a 25-06 would be good. You might want to load the bullets yourself and tweak the load a little. My 7 yr. old is shooting a T/C .223 that I cut the stock on and decreased the powder. It works great for trophy Jackrabbits. The most important thing is that the kid is comfortable shooting whatever they have. It is not the size of the bullet that matters it is the placement.

I shot a .308 Savage 99e when I started hunting. I was scared of the kick as a kid but ounce I got past the recoil I was good to go. Just don't start him out with a high grain round that will kick like a mule and he will be ok.

My daughter started out with a .270 Ruger and she handles the rifle well as long as she has a rest. recoil was no problem for her. She hunts quial with me, shooting a 20ga. and says the shotgun kicks more then the .270.

Alot has to do with the confidence your kid has in his ability to shoot. So give him some positive reinforcement and the next thing you know he or she will be out shooting Dad.

my 2 cents.

Look at the 7-08. Start out with light bullets. 120s As the shooter gets older you can step up in weight, and the 7-08 will shoot great at long range. The 260REM, and the 7-08 are great cal. for younger shooters, and older shooters. They will suprise the heck out of you when you look at the balistics of them.

If you do not handload, you may wish to consider the Managed Recoil ammunition from Remington. It is available in popular chamberings like the 7mm-08, 270 and 30-06. Then step up to full strenght ammo when your son is ready.

I would recommend that you get a youth model, or an extra stock to cut down, so the lenght of pull is appropriate for him. Have the trigger adjusted so he does not get in the habit of yanking on it hard. Lotsa 22 practice and dry-firing of his centerfire.

I just purchased a 25-06 and like it. The kick is not too bad. Alot of guys are buying the Savage Youth model 7mm-08 with the muzzle brake and accu-trigger. They love the accuracy and even purchase them for their wives. Something to think about. It runs around $570.00. The ones without the muzzle brake are much cheaper.

If you reload, I would recommed buying a rifle that he will like shooting until he is 18, even if its a 300 RUM. If you dont reload, i would suggest buying a caliber that you can purchase the reduced recoil loads in. Here is a link to remington's website. http://www.remington.com/products/ammuniti...ged-recoil.aspx.

In addition, I would do as Red Rabbit says and look for a youth or a shorter stock for the earlier years and switching to the full length stock as he grows older.

.243's work just fine as well. And are still used by lots of people into there adult years. I still use mine over my 30-06 or 270 wsm sometimes and I have had this rifle since I was 9! I was taller as a kid to so that may be why i used a full size rifle. But a youth stock can be put on or taken off if need be. I think the 243, 25-06, 270, 308, 7mm-08 are all fine calibers for a young shooter and one they can still use as adults. The hardest kicking, loudest, fast shooting guns are not always the most accurate, which is more important than anything else. If they can handle more gun, go for the bigger caliber. If not, the smaller ones will be just fine.

25-06 was my first rig at 10 years old, and I like to think I turned out ok. It's a fine cartridge, but there are plenty of others that will work well also. Cartridge choices are surprisingly personal and people usually have definite opinions on them so be prepared ;)

I bought a 30.06 with a muzzle break for my grandkids to use. The recoil is comparable to a .243 but was still too much for the kids. I tried the Remington Managed Recoil ammo and the recoil was comparable to a 22.250. The managed recoil ammo did not group as well as regular ammo but is acceptable for the distance they will be shooting deer.

just my 2 cents but why dose the parent case have to be a 30-06 or a .308? I think that any bolt action .223 or something that he can shoot affordably and practice and hone his marksmanship skills is more important than having a dream rifl. a .223 will be a good gun to learn on work on and hunt with and LOW RECOIL he is 9.... and it will be a good 400-500 yard gun to plink with and will surley kill a deer at 300 letalone 70yrd that all first deer are shot at and he might make it his preditor gun when he gets older... but i think marksmanship is far more important to be an ethical hunter than the calibre im sure he could shoot a 223 all day and get his shooting positions refined and have fun for a lot less than a 25-06 or a .243