Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Video of Brutus

Christian Williams (aka Stalkincoues, and the creator of the Range Snap) asked me to share some trail cam video of an elk they call Brutus. He is hoping to get this very nice bull during his archery hunt right now. Look at the neat nontyp points he has.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/video_clips/...y_wallowing.ASF

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/video_clips/..._front_view.ASF

Yes, pics and a story please. A big congrats, he's a stud! I'd love to see him on the ground and what he actually scores.

Never saw him during season in the area he was in just weeks before but were just behind a couple of BIG sounding sceaming and chuckling bulls and never could quite get visual of them. Were within 60-80 yards or so twice. Which was very close to the area we think he migrated to in search of cows.

I got this bull with my father-in-law, Roy, and my brothers-in-law, Armand and Josh near Beaverhead (south of Alpine, Unit 27) last Sunday morning at about 6:00am. I first shot it at 362 yards (Armand was my rangefinder) with the .338WM my wife let me get for this hunt - early bull tags probably only come along once. He had between 20 and 30 cows with him at the time. They ran one way and he ran the other. Josh ran with a reed in his mouth and called him back a couple times to give me follow-up shots. I shot him two more times and 'Brutus' (I think its a pretty good name) struggled to make it over a couple of barbed wire fences before he fell about 500 yards from where I first hit him He laid down and was dying, but I put another in his chest at about 20 yards to end it quickly. He was a fighter, you can see that he has a few broken tines. In fact, I doubt his G5 on his right side will even count as a point - too bad.

It was an awesome hunt. We passed up five other bulls (one was pretty nice, too) from the rim to the Blue in the first two days and had quite a few more bugling back without seeing them. With the full moon, they were up and called all night, but weren't too active during the day. We scouted and had trail cams up since April and ended up only hunting one morning in the area where we put most of our time because they just weren't rutting too hard there.

It is really cool to see the video of him alive, if you have any more video or photos from your trail cam, I would really appreciate it if you could post those as well. This is my first bull so I'd really like to document it as much as possible. Thank you for adding to my little adventure.

post-4833-1285982156_thumb.jpg

post-4833-1285982170_thumb.jpg

post-4833-1285982182_thumb.jpg

post-4833-1285982193_thumb.jpg