muskrat

Factory loads .270 WSM

I just bought a .270 WSM

I know that ammo can be expensive to buy, bit I am not set up to reload and I don't shoot much anyway. I shoot to sight it in, verify proficiency, check zero, etc. - I don't spend hours and hours and hours at the range.

Are there any rounds off the shelf that work well for lions/bears/coues or even lions/bears/coues/elk?

Curious as to what everyone uses. Thanks

If you want a coues/lion/bear/elk bullet try the Nosler Accubond 140grain. I'm pretty sure Winchester sells it if you don't reload.

Sportsman Warehouse has slightly better prices on Federal 270 WSm than Cabelas. At least for the 150 Nosler Partition and a couple others.. The plain Remington Corelokt shoots ok in mine and is about 30 bucks or under for a box.

WallyWorld carries "winchester 150gr Ballistic Silvertips" I like Hornady myself for loading or off the shelf but it depends on how your rifle shoots them you might have to spend some cash if you want the perfect fit and shoot a quarter size group.....if your happy hitting the 5" pie plate at 300 yrds don't waste your money any one will probably work for ya GO to the websites and check out the ammo before you head to the store if you have time each company usually tells you a bit about each bullet..makes for a great way to kill time as well. lolHornady bullets

The only factory load that I found to shoot well in my .270WSM was the Remington 130 grain Core-Lokts, which I choose not to hunt with.

I ordered a Sample Pack from Superior Ammunition in South Dakota, and one of their 140 grain Nosler Accubond loads shot AWESOME. The finished ammo they provide is a little more expensive, but with just a little work (and far less money than buying a box of every factory load out there) you can find a load that works for you.

For details, my best 100-yard group measured .53" center-to-center, and I clocked the load at 3351 fps.

If you can find a factory load that works, great, but if not, give Superior a call.

My Rem. Model 700 .270 WSM is shooting great groups with the 130 grain winchester ballistic silvertips. I would buy them at Sportsmans warehouse, believe it or not they are cheaper than wal-mart. I am shooting half inch groups at 500 yards. Can't get any better than that with a factory bullet.

post-673-1285822909.jpg

My Rem. Model 700 .270 WSM is shooting great groups with the 130 grain winchester ballistic silvertips. I would buy them at Sportsmans warehouse, believe it or not they are cheaper than wal-mart. I am shooting half inch groups at 500 yards. Can't get any better than that with a factory bullet.

1/2in or 1/2MOA @ 500yrds

I hand load 140 grain accubonds for my 270 WSM. I would also recommend any factory ammo that makes them as well. I know federal makes some and Nosler makes some factory stuff in the accubond. Just shoot the one that shoots the best through your gun.

+1 for the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips. Great bullets for a factory load. My hand loads for .270 WSM and .300 WSM are very close to what you can buy over the counter. One thing, if you are going after elk-sized game, you might want a bonded bulllet. The same load as you would use with the silver tips, but using a Nosler Accu-bond or or similar bullet (Swift Scirocco, etc.). The silver tips are great for even larger deer, imo, but for elk I would use a sturdier bullet.

Sight it in with one brand and stay with it. My daughter uses a .270. She shoots Remington's managed recoil 115 grain bullets. I thought I would try a Hornady 140 grain just to see if it shoots the same. Well, not even close. I shot two Hornady rounds at 100 yards and they both were 2 inches high and 3 inches to the right. Then I shot a Remington round - dead on, covered the X. My daughter shot a Remington round next, covered what was left of the X.

So, all the these years, I have always shot Core - Lokt out my model 700's in a 30-06, .270, and .243 caliber. Seems to hold true every season.......not the most expensive ammo, but works for my family.