oldboar

Unit 27 Archery Bull Success

Hello all,

First of all I'd like to say I lurk on this site daily enjoying the read and pic's but contributing little ;)

Having waited 9 years for my Unit 27 archery bull tag, I did alot of scouting in August and into September. As with most hunts successful, and unsuccessful I learned alot!

This Unit is off the charts when it comes to beauty, and some country that will test your shoe leather and resolve.

One thing I will say (after the fact), is there is no substitute for experience. I would say this unit holds some whopper bulls, in my opinion very much comparable to any other unit (9, 10, etc). The problem I found is they are not easy to glass up as easy (due to heavy timber), and once the first week of September rolls around those bachelor groups of bulls you've been watching scatter like a covey of quail.

Its not like you won't find good bulls, but it was hard for me to find some of the bigger bulls that went on tour once the rut started.

Having the ability to hunt only 1/2 the season, I elected to hunt the first 7 days, as I had 2 lifelong friends who were driving out from Wisconsin to enjoy this venture, and this was worked out for all our schedules.

On opening morning we slipped into a mountaintop saddle 2 miles from camp, this led to some dark timber two bulls in the 350 class were using for most of the first week of September. The bulls each had herds of cows of around 25-30 cows and tolerated each other very well, although always kept a 1/2 mile between herds morning and night when they came down to a meadow to feed. By daylight each day, they were already a mile from the meadow and headed up high to bed. Setting up and calling subtly to the herd moving my way, the plan worked perfectly, and the herd was about 200 yards away and moving quickly towards me. Cows were mewing, bull was bugling. Suddenly I heard hoove beats, and the herd spooked up and west of my position, I could not figure what could have spooked them so badly. Long story short 2 Mexican wolves interupted a first morning certain shot opportunity for me....but I guess they have to eat too.

I got into bulls every day, and called in a couple smaller bulls that lived to see another day. There wasn't any true rutting activity, and moving in close to bugling bulls before calling did little to interest them (100-150 yards). Rake a tree, cow call, bugle, all the same response. They'd bugle, bugle, bugle, rake a tree back...then move off again. I guess in retrospect I should have sat water, or a wallow in some of those areas. But.......the hook for me is calling and bring in an animal. Just too much fun, and addicting!!!

On Thursday the 17th, we worked bulls all morning, within 100-125 yards a multitude of times. Within an hour my comrades were to be leaving at 9:00 am. With an hour to go I got between a satellite bull and the herd bull/cows he was tailing. Perfect situation...and a few cow calls later a 25 yard shot netted this bull for me. He piled up within 50 yards, blood trailing was not necessary. My friends videoed the whole thing w/two different camera angles, so it will be great to reminisce about this hunt for many years to come.

The bull is (as my finance' says) "downright handsome", and hard earned....though on the smaller scale compared to many on the monsters on this site:)

I hike ALOT, don't own a quad...and by the time I killed this bull we all had blisters, and bruised ankles galore.

I've already begun praying to draw again soon! 9 years is just too long to wait to have this much fun!

Special thanks to the kind gentleman who gave me his e-mail address 1bighunter@live.com (it didn't work, so maybe I got it wrong?). If you frequent this site, I never got your name, and want to thank you for the 4 mile ride back to my camp after I shot my bull. I'd already run 8 miles in the mountains that morning, as was out of water. You were a life saver:) You saved me some time, and I packed my bull out a mere mile to the forest service road from the other end where I met you. I had him out by 4:00 pm.

Also thanks to "Catclaw" for all the enlightening conversations we've had.

Congrats to all the other successful elk hunters!

Sincerly,

Jim

elkjimalone.jpg

Great Friends!

elkandcrew.jpg

Good eatin'!

P1000236.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to write up your hunt story.

I enjoyed it and especially loved the last pic!

Can't wait for the vid too.

Congratulations!

Congrats on a fine bull! It sounds like you earned him. Can't wait to see the video. Nothing beats calling one in!

Congratulations on a very nice bull! I'm glad you were able to make it happen and that you shared your experience with us here. That is extra special that you shared it with the friends. Way to go!

Nick

Way to go Jim. That is good lookin bull. All those hours of driving back and fourth really paid off for you. At least you hunt better than you play poker. ;) David

I was born and have lived most of my life in unit 27. It's my unit of choice and where I do virtually all my hunting. I absolutely love unit 27. I was on the same elk hunt guiding a hunter who took a nice bull and I too am infatuated with chasing those bugling bulls in the high country every September. Congratulations on your bull and the wonderful memories you made pursuing elk in Arizona's high country! May you draw another tag very soon.

Congrats on a great bull! Can't wait to see the video, make sure you post it for us! :rolleyes: Please and thank you!