Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Junior Kiabab Hunt

Last weekend, my daughter and I went on her first deer hunt. She had drawn one of the Kiabab youth doe tags, and we made plans to go up with some friends for a weekend of camping/hunting. Both of her brothers killed their first deer on this same hunt, and little Greta was determined to make the most out of her opportunity! ;)

We arrived to camp VERY late Thursday night (1:30AM)! I tucked her into her sleeping bag in the back of the Suburban, and layed my cot out to sleep under the stars. Morning came early on Friday, but we were both ready!

One of our friends was camping with a 5th-wheel, so we got to relax inside with some hot cocoa prior to going out on opening day! ;)

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA003.jpg

Driving to our hunting spot!! Wide-eyed and ready!!! ;)

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA004.jpg

Walking down a 'two track' on opening morning......

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA005.jpg

No luck on opening day. Saw some deer and turkeys, but couldn't get in for a shot. That night, we had another friend join from SLC, so we were looking forward to Saturday!! Saturday AM came early, but Greta was up and at it, getting ready for the hunt!!! ;)

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA027.jpg

I'll make it fast at this point! lol On Saturday, we were able to get to 80 yards from a nice doe, and Greta made the shot! Perfect, high in the lungs. Dropped on the spot, and she had her first deer!!!!!!

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA037.jpg

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA044.jpg

That afternoon we went to one of the points to see the Canyon!! ;)

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA085.jpg

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA130.jpg

Then on Sunday morning, we de-boned and packed the meat!!! Fun teaching the kids how to do it..... ;) Greta insisted on taking a bite while my buddy Troy was cutting!!! :)

October2010JuniorDeer-Greta154.jpg

October2010JuniorDeer-Greta156.jpg

Goofing off with the 'hanging meat'......

October2010JuniorDeer-Greta150.jpg

We then packed-up and headed home! I have a ton more pictures of us and the other three hunters in camp! We had four junior hunters, and ALL OF THEM KILLED THEIR FIRST DEER ON THIS HUNT!! A pic of all four hunters with their FIRST DEER!!!!

October2010JuniorDeer-Greta144.jpg

What a great time!!! Greta is definitely hooked on hunting for life now!

Next up is her two brother's junior hunt in late Nov!!! Fun!!

S.

:)

Awesome. Congrats. That had to be a great trip and one you'll both remember.

Looks like you guys did very well.

I went up there and helped a buddies son get his first big game animal also.

What a great experience.

Very cool! Makes me look forward to when my kids will be able to go! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures!

Awesome! Congrats to you all! Gets me all excited for my daughter's first....hopefully next year!

Awesome job and awesome pics!!! Congrats on a great hunt! JIM>

Great job Stan!

I know you were looking forward to her hunt and I am happy it turned out great.

That picture of her brushing her hair is priceless. Lol

Thanks for all of the very nice comments all. She is my little sweet shining star (and my future heart-ache), that's for sure!! ;)

Hector, yes, I was soooo much looking forward to hunting with her! Also, yes I had to throw that pic in there. She would not leave the tent without 'primping'!! She is ALL girl, and I love it!!!! lol

TEAM JESUS; yes, kudos for this hunt! I know that many folks don't approve of it because it means less deer North of the river, but I personally agree with you! This is a great opportunity for youngsters to go on a very high success rate hunt. If they are looking to recruit young hunters, then they definitely succeeded in this case. She is absolutely hooked for life!!!! ;)

S.

:)