EAS

Missed'em in 2009... but not in 2010

I was invited by my bro-in-law and his bro to join them for the August OTC archery hunt in 2009. I was taking a back seat in their hunting area, to be respectful to all the scouting they had done to find this area. Both my hunting friends tagged out first day with Coues whitetails! The bar was set and now I had 4 days left to tag a buck. I love being outdoors so I was ok with not filling my tag (so I told myself). My brother-in-law offered me his stand, since he tagged out, so I sat his stand on a water hole. As I sat for days in his stand I saw doe all day, every day. The buck came and went but at a distance. Finally, on my last day, a nice mule buck walked into range. Hart pounding, I waited for him to follow the trail into the water. I got into position, waiting for him to keep walking in... And in the distance I herd a quad romping near by... I only hoped I had time to get a shot off before the quad came closer and spooked off the buck... the buck started to trot away from the oncoming quad but in my direction! I drew back and as he ran past me I let one fly! It was a 35 yard on the move shot that I thought I had... but I missed him by an inch! A few moments later the quad went by on the other side of the hill. I went on foot and found where I thought most the buck had been moving and started a salt lick. A few months later I refreshed the batteries and put down more salt and some other fun attractants I thought I would try.

A year later, after keeping up on my "hidden rest" buck spot, it was time to see what was on my camera. I had spent a year in this area scouting deer by now. I had tried my luck with several salts and food plot experiments over the months with hopes of bringing in the big guys for the 2010 August hunt. August 19th we set up camp and I retrieved my camera from the "hidden rest buck day spa" (so I call it). I was in and out as fast as I could. I didn’t want to leave my sent as opening day was coming. I got back to camp and turned on my camera to view if any buck had been coming in... HOLY COW! I had over dozed shooters on camera. It was a great feeling!

Opening day, I'm in my stand at sun-up, this time far enough from trails that hunting without interruption would be good. On camera buck started coming in at 7:30 on most days. It was 6 am and I loved watching the forest come alive as the sun came up. I was calm and still; only looking at my watch every minute or so, waiting for 7:30…

I had looked down for a moment; it was now 7:40 am. When I looked up I saw them coming! 3 big bucks making a straight b-line from were they had bedded over the ridge. They were coming right into "hidden Rest". I was on my feet, waiting for them. I was picking out which one was gona wear my tag. Tough choice between 2 awesome 4x4's and a 5x5 with 2 drop tines!

They were coming, now 40 yards from me still coming fast right to me. I was drawn back wanting the 5x5 with the drop tines... but he stopped and stayed behind a bush and tree. I think they new something wasn’t right (winded me)... then the 4x4 buck leading them in crossed over the river bed and I new he was the brave buck that would wear my tag.

35 yards and I let the Mathews rip. My 100 grain muzzy ripped right through him before he even new he was hit! A short 100 yard walk and on a great blood trail and there was those antlers dead on the ground! I did it!

He’s at Wild Heritage Taxidermy with Dale. His SCI score is 148 – silver medallion trophy buck. I can’t wait to get him home on the wall. Hope you enjoyed my buck story this year!

post-4709-1287529644_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1287529582_thumb.jpg

i've got my eye on that 5x5 with drop tines for December 1st..... :ph34r:

"i've got my eye on that 5x5 with drop tines for December 1st..... "

I sure hope not...

Kidding...I assume you meant January

Congrats on the great velvet buck!

oops... yes, January 1st. got ahead of myself... :blink:

"i've got my eye on that 5x5 with drop tines for December 1st..... "

I sure hope not...

Kidding...I assume you meant January

Congrats on the great velvet buck!