Sign in to follow this  
Rharris

Toby's First Coues

Toby was primed and ready to go on his first Arizona youth deer hunt. After finding out the draw he practiced with his 7mm-08 and reloaded some great rounds (under supervision of course) before the hunt. As the season got closer he finally decided to hunt Coues deer instead of Mulies. Good choice son!. Opening day found us deep in the woods with his mom, myself, and good friend Duffy. We saw a couple of bucks early on and Toby later passed on a small fork horn. The fork horn took quite a bit of convincing but in the end Toby was glad he did. Later that day I spotted a buck moving into a small thicket. After hours of manuevering and glassing we were all but sure the buck had snuck out of the thicket. I finally could not take it and walked accross the draw and into the thicket. You guessed it MR. Coues ran out the other side. MY BAD! Needless to say my decision to walk through the thicket was not a popular one. We hunted the rest of the afternoon with no luck. That evening We talked and Toby agreed we needed to go back. Did I mention he had an elk hunt in New Mexico going on at the same time. That elk tag was burning a whole in his pack.

Next morning his mom, myself and older brother Kade (Duffy went looking for elk for Toby) were walking into the same area well before daylight. About 0900 I spotted Mr Coues bedded in front of a big Cedar. We put a great sneak on him and layed up at 230 yards. It was as close we could get. After waiting for two hours he finally stood. As cool as a sniper Toby asks us if we are ready. OF COURSE!! The shot rings out and Toby's first Arizona Coues is down. As we packed up our gear we watch as another buck we had not seen stands up. HE IS HUGE!!!!!!

After five minutes of videoing the "BIG" buck he finally walks off.

We could not be prouder of Toby's accomplshment with his first Coues. At 104 gross this is a buck anyone could be proud of. Great Hunt Toby,I can't wait to go after the big one with you next year!!!

post-92-1287837541_thumb.jpgpost-92-1287837561_thumb.jpgpost-92-1287837586_thumb.jpgpost-92-1287837601.jpgpost-92-1287837617_thumb.jpg

The Harris Gang is at it again! :P Way to go Toby, you have a a great season so far!!! Nice shooting...

good job heck of a way to get started on a great buck

Nicely Done!!! What a stud of a buck. And Toby, you're the MAN!!! Great hunt, pix and write up! Cherish the moment. Great work by dad to to help get you on him.

Congrats to Toby on a smoker buck! Good luck on the elk hunt and hopefully we'll be reading about it soon!

Any chance of sharing the video of the other buck?

Awesome!!! I can tell by the look on his face, that kid is hooked for life!!! Congrats buddy!!!