Red Rabbit

End of Story

Way to go Doug! Always enjoy seeing and reading about your and Rica's adventures!

Congratulations on a nice bull Doug. Sounds like a tough hunt but it looks like it ended well. I love the picture of Rica next to the big rub!

Thanks.

It was fun getting close to the herd opening morning and seeing the two bulls filter through the trees.

Later Friday morning we (Rica and I) pursued some bugles on another hill. Had 6 cows pass in front of us at 20 yards. Rica stood quiet and still as we were given the discerning eye. I never caught up to and saw the bull. He was unresponsive to a whiny cow call.

Doug~RR

Way to go Doug! Looks like you took a mean ol bruiser! Congratulations on your trophy and another mighty fine contribution to the site.

Nick

An awesome trophy Doug along with awesome pics, congrats to you on a great hunt with a great bull!!! JIM>

Those field photos w/ the bull are gorgeous! Any advice on how you achieved that- clarity/depth of field? What was aperture/shutter speed to get that much light in the fog? Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Mr J. Thanks.

The camera is the Nikon D90 with the kit 18-105mm lens.

iso400 (usually I use iso200, but had it set to 400 earlier for an extra stop and had not changed it back), f/8 aperture priority. Shutter speed was 1/6 sec. The lens is probably most sharp at f/5.6 & f/8. I chose f/8 for the slightly greater dof to assure the elk and I would be in focus. I did not care so much about the background. Probably could have gotten the trees sharper if I used f/16, but then I worry about softening of the image due to diffraction. Tripod mounted, no flash but the lighting was pretty even due to the fog. I did not take many with various poses or settings like I normally do, but I checked the histogram for exposure and images after each set to see if I got an acceptable composition.

Post processing included adjustments to shadows, highlights, brightness, contrast, saturation, cropping and final sharpening. I did paint out some blood on the bull's left side in the last image.

Doug