Sign in to follow this  
MangeyJoe

Safes

I need to buy a safe for my guns and valuables. I have no knowledge in safes. I have a budget of 500 bucks or less, do you have any good options? I also want to bolt it to the ground of my house.

home depot use to sell a pretty good looking safe. plain jane, just gray, no shiny stuff. good fire rating and looked really tough. might try them. they weren't real spendy, but appeared to be a good set up. i would imagine they could order one still. if you get one, get one that is too heavy to pack off and made of plate steel, no sheet metal. Lark.

I appreciate that.

I got mine from "The Safe Store" on Indian School. It was a "last year's model" so I got a couple hundred off the price. They had some that were in your price range, but this was about 10 years ago.

Got mine from Lowe's about 7 years ago. Excellent deal and about $400 out the door. Have not been disappointed at all. Holds lots of stuff and ammo and is VERY heavy empty. It would almost take a forklift to get it out of my house! No bad ideas, anybody!!!

FYI............I noticed your avatar says you are from Gilbert. I wanted to bolt my safe down as well; but was told the majority of homes in Gilbert were built on "post retention" slabs because of the soil in the area. I don't know much about that type of construction, but was told there are cables running through the slab that are under tension. The delivery person didn't feel comfortable bolting the safe down because the drill might hit one of the cables; causing the slab to crack or heave. Don't know if this is true or not but thats what I was told.

Dicks has some good deals. They have the Stack-on Elite 24 gun for $549. I was told by the sales guy that as a "door buster" at Thanksgivng it will be $449+ a $50 gift card "like last year". Take it for what it's worth but he sounded pretty sure of himself. It weighs over 400# as is fire resistant to 1200 deg for 1/2 hour. I also saw this same unit for $549 at Sports Authority on Stapley/Baseline. Crittergetter is correct about the dangers of drilling post-tension slabs.

Joe

Thanks