Sign in to follow this  
Simple Hunter

Successful Hunt with son

I took my 8-year old with me for the first time. What a great feeling. I didn't get drawn this year so I got a leftover tag in a unit I had never hunted. He was definitely more excited than me - in fact maybe he's watching too many hunting shows - because he gave me a big high five after the buck dropped. I let him have the glory in this one - he is definitely hooked for life after this. Uncharacteristic luck even made this hunt seem easier than normal (Mo will tell you about it).

Not a trophy in score (grosses about 85") - but definitely a trophy for my memory as my son Morgan took part in this. See video.

Video of Buck with Morgan

You already got me excited to take my son out hunting. Only 9 more years and 4 months till he can get his own tag.

Thanks for all the comments! By the way I forgot to mention that this buck was chasing the does. Not just hanging out with them, he was chasing them in and out of an oak thicket with the sneak pose that bucks do during the rut.

I am guessing the cold morning got him a little frisky but...in all my years of hunting I have not seen rutting activity that early.

Thanks for all the comments! By the way I forgot to mention that this buck was chasing the does. Not just hanging out with them, he was chasing them in and out of an oak thicket with the sneak pose that bucks do during the rut.

I am guessing the cold morning got him a little frisky but...in all my years of hunting I have not seen rutting activity that early.

It's been said before, but if it only happened once a year I'd show up early too... ;)