bowstringmusik

Diagnosis: Heart Exlposion

My 2010 leftover whitetail hunt is in the books. The same as last year, Christian, and I left at about 11 pm the night before opening day. We met Jonathan (aka: "Mr. Jonathan" on CW) about an hour away from the unit. We got into the unit to give us enough time for a plentiful two and a half hour nap. We woke up opening morning, strapped on the headlamps and headed off into the darkness for an hour hike. We got to our glassing point about 20 minutes before sunrise and stayed there for most of the day until we found 2 groups of bucks about a half mile away. Long story short, we didn't get any opportunities, so back to the truck in the dark we went.

The next day, when the alarm clock went off, I made the executive decision that we would sleep another hour, skip the hour long zombie hike in the dark and glass a little closer to civilization. I'm not going to stand by my decision, because it was lazy. You have no idea how good that extra hour of sleep felt. That morning we found quite a few deer, but nothing worth taking a second look at. The boys almost convinced me to shoot a 2 point. I'm pretty sure they just come to watch stuff fall over, typical... We went back to camp and i made my deer finders some breakfast burritos in a wok my dad made me. It's a blade disc on a turkey frying torch. If you do not have one of these i suggest you find one, they're amazing and you can cook anything on them. Thanks Dad! Back to the story; we went to an area i was unfamiliar with that afternoon. We gained around 1200 feet elevation that evening. It felt like a dang sheep hunt! Jonathan found 2 spikes and a 3 point (3x3). After some more elevation change, the bad kind (straight up) I settled in at 330 yards and took a shot and another, and another. 5 times i missed from 330 yards to 390 yards. I was pretty disgusted in myself. A little cherry on the top on this turd sundae was the fact that i forgot my headlamp. 1200 feet down with no headlamp is any better than a stick in the eye. Luckily Christian and Jonathan had theirs, which made it a little better.

When we got to camp that night i could sense the boys doubting my old school ways. I shoot a remington .270 mountain rifle with a leupold fix 6. It was my dads gun handed down to me. This gun has killed more than 60 mule deer and 5 coues. Call me crazy but there's just something about that gun! I had a .300 rem ultra mag in the truck with a 6.5-20x50 dialed in, but i convinced the guys that it was just me and i would bring the ole fix 6 the next day.

Sunday morning started just like the first morning, 4:30 wake up, hour or so hike, up the mountain 20 minutes before sunrise. We glassed for a couple of hours until Jonathan, found 5 bucks feeding over a saddle across a small canyon from us. One of the bucks was a Yeti! We loaded up and headed down the mountain and up the other side. We found all of the deer except the ball dragger. After about 30 minutes of discussion and waiting for the deer to bed we just decided to move in on them. We cut the distance in half to 310 yards and watched where we thought the deer were. Sure enough, 2 deer were fighting, both broadside. Christian told me the buck on the right was the one with a death warrant, so i threw down the pack, didn't take enough time at all, and the second the two bucks pushed off of each other and stood still for a split second i settled the crosshair took a deep breath and made the gun go BOOM! I couldn't see what happened because of the recoil, but Christians statement, "You A$$ _ _ _ ed Him!" pretty much said it all. I threw the gun up to see where he had gone. I found him using his chin as a skateboard with his back legs kicking him down the mountain. This lasted all of about 5 and a 50 yards to bottom of a ravine. We recovered the deer and realized that the shot was perfect.

I've only been hunting the coues for 3 seasons now, and this is my third whitetail. This is my 6th deer in a row. I'll always be a mule deer hunter, and my main objective is to kill a deer every year until i draw the strip again. All i said was i wanted a 3 point, and i got him. I looked at the success rate for this hunt and it's 25%. Christian and i beat the odds this year and last year. I had and awesome time and i want to thank both Jonathan and Christian for a hunt I'll never forget.

Enjoy!

post-3582-1289250721_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289251810_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289251870_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289251891_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289251916_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289251943_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289251964_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289252001_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289252018_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289252051_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289252081_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289252104_thumb.jpg

post-3582-1289252124_thumb.jpg

A little cherry on the top on this turd sundae

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You made me bust out laughing on this one! :lol: Congrats on a fine buck! Keep knocking them dead until you get that strip tag.

-Tracy

AWESOME deer guys!

I'm pretty sure they just come to watch stuff fall over, typical...

:lol: You got us pegged!

Hey congrats again, that was as much fun as you can legally have. I don't know if Jonas gave you the heads up but I was able to fix the shadows on a lot of those pics and they look really good. I'll get another cd for ya and maybe swing by the shop this week. Thanks for letting me tag along!

I'm pretty sure they just come to watch stuff fall over, typical...

:lol: You got us pegged!

Hey congrats again, that was as much fun as you can legally have. I don't know if Jonas gave you the heads up but I was able to fix the shadows on a lot of those pics and they look really good. I'll get another cd for ya and maybe swing by the shop this week. Thanks for letting me tag along!

Sounds good Leonard. Ha Ha! Thanks again for helping. I really appreciate it. Im so glad you had that camera of yours. The pics turned out amazing!

Great story. Very entertaining. I think you topped mine from last week.

Nah, That was a great illustration of the present. I felt like i was there. And i kind of felt like i wanted to smack you on the back of the head for not having your gun. You need to get a bunch of velcro. You can put a bunch on your gun and a bunch on yourself. That way you can never forget it. H Ha. Just kidding we've all been there. Congrats on your buck.