Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

Legal question

Is it legal to pick up and keep river rocks on State and National Forest land? i do know that on some Federally run lands (Buenos Aires, ect) it is 100% illegal to take ANYTHING off the land. I was curious as to the legality on state and NF land.

I am starting a project in the new house.. Going to river rock in the fire place and I sure don't want to pay somebody (if I don't have to) for something I can go 1 mile from my house and pick up literally as many as I could ever want. I only need about 250-300 of them.. using hockey puck sized rocks on the project.

Thanks for the input.

Scottyboy,

Here in NM certain forests allow rock gathering with a permit. Check with the forest. Don't know about state lands.

Kevin

I don't know, but if it involves government, it almost assuredly involves some sort of permit....we can't have you just picking stuff up from "their" land ;)

Scottyboy

If you are on BLM land, you can get up to 125 pounds without a permit, just cant get it from the monument or national conservation area lands.

On State lands, it is illegal to take anything without a permit.

PM me if you would like more information about where you can get some rock. ;)

Your best bet would be find somebody that has rocks on their property and ask them. Public property is owned by the public (to look at but not take) so you would have to ask everyone. Or some politition who thinks that he/she speaks for everyone. <_<

Thanks for the replies.. NRS has it right.. BLM land you can have 125lbs no problem (public land). Still trying to get an answer from the NF.

State land is a no go as is the parks, monuements, etc..

One thing going well is that the bloomin' state is pretty much a solid chunk of rock! No shortage of them in the state!

Not sure as to the intent of your reply, Thom, but I'll say that there are lots of things that are owned by the public in AZ that are also utilized by the public.. land, water, timber, WILDLIFE, etc..

I'll stick to what the book says I am legally entitled to do on OUR land as far as taking a few river rocks.

Thank you.

Scottyboy

If you are on BLM land, you can get up to 125 pounds without a permit, just cant get it from the monument or national conservation area lands.

On State lands, it is illegal to take anything without a permit.

PM me if you would like more information about where you can get some rock. ;)

So I found a cool rock up elk hunting in 4B and I kept it that means i am in trouble? what about your vehicle a rock in the tire is that illegal? Are you serious? I can see a saguaro cactus but a rock? :lol: :lol:

Just like they told me (Forest service) that it is illegal to put salt out. Did you know that? I laughed at them in person and pulled out the regulations and showed them. They said it was illegal still. So I told them to show me in their regs where it says that and they said you will have to look it up online. Needless to say I never found anything.

Scotty, what size river rock you are loking for? A ton of river rock 3 to 6 or 4 to 8 inches will cost you around 50 bucks. So if you are not sure if it's legal or not is not that expensive.

I'm not sure but I think I have some river rock, about 3 five gallon buckets but it may be to small for your project (about 3") besides, I dont know where you live but I think we live far away from each other.

Ernesto C

Clay,

It actually is illegal to put out salt or other food/bait for wildlife on some US Forest Service Land. On the Coronado National Forest they created a special rule about it and they will fine people for this. I have attached the rule I got from some AGFD law enforcement personnel. I don't think the other forests have this rule, but they may be moving in that direction.

Amanda

post-1-1290059817_thumb.jpg

The wording in this Coronado proclamation has holes all through it.

If I lay out salt somewhere, I am no longer "possesing" it, nor am I "storing" it, nor am I "discarding" it.

And I kind of like point #1: "Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act". It doesn't state USFS permit. A deer tag is a permit, right? And the governing agency that issues this permit allows the use of salt.

This is a lot like BLM lands being off limits without authorization, and a hunting liscense is authorization.

This is a good example of why the state should handle the issues within our borders and the Feds should go sue themselves.

Mike

Rembrandt,

I think you have your agencies mixed up.

"This is a lot like BLM lands being off limits without authorization, and a hunting liscense is authorization."

BLM land is open, it is State Trust land that you need a permit ( hunting license) for.

The USFS I was talking about is Tonto. I have seen personally 4 different employees with the tonto that sets out salts. I just think the 2 (AZGFD & USFS) need to get together and make sure these issues are resolved.