Andy

Garmin Rino

Has anyone had experience using a garmin Rino to talk with another brand of walkie talkie or even just a regular garmin radio. I read one review that said something about a scrambler made it hard to comunicate with other walkie talkies other than another Rhino. Thanks

I have no problem with using Rinos and Motorolas together but I have had issues with Midlands....

My dads Rino and my Motorola's were hit and miss as well as some friends Cobras that I picked up easy on my walkie talkies. Kinda helps explain it now!

I just re read my question and it doesn't make a lot of sense but you answered the question I was trying to ask. Garmin doesn't make just a radio. So I guess my question should have been does the rino transmit with other walkie talkies other than just rino's. Thanks for the responses. I would be curious to see if anyone else has similar experiences or not.

Thanks, Andy

i['ve got several rinos, a couple midlands and several motorolas and they all seem to work well with each other. the rinos seem to have one helluva radio in them. better than the other ones, even the really good motorolas. that might be part of the problem you guys are seeing. the rinos seem to have a lot better range than any of the other radios i've used. could be the rinos will reach farther than the other brands and it makes em seem to be scrambled. i mean i don't know one way or the other, but all mine seem to work fine together. Lark.

I have a rino 520 and 530 that I bought off this sight used. At first I was very disapointed to say the least. After sending them back to Garmin 4 times I am now very satisfied with the way they work.... To answer your question, I use mine with motorola radios and they work just fine transmitting and receiving.. No problems.

Whitey

I really like the concept of the GPS/radio combo. I've seen it in action on the Navajo, and other places where it worked really well. My one complaint, is that the radio technology in the Rhinos I've seen is way lacking. I took along some cheap Cobra radios on a hunt where guys were using the Garmin Rhinos, and our range was FAR superior to Rhinos with the Cobras, and they have better models available now.

Don't get me wrong, with young kids and lots of time in the field, I think the concept behind the Rhinos with built in GPS to keep track of eachother is freaking awesome, and last Christmas season you could get a pair for under $600 bucks with the mail in rebates, etc., if memory serves. I just wasn't impressed with the radio reception and range.

If Garmin takes the GPS abilities of the 60CSX and combines it with even $30 midland/cobra/motorolla radio range, it would be worth spending the $$ for a combo. As it stands now, I'd rather put the money in a decent set of radios and some cheap GPS units, and take the time to teach my wife and kids how to use both, at leat enough to find eachother in a bind...

That brings up all kinds of fond memories of my lost wife this past season, and her subsequent nickname, which I'll leave out for now.

I started out with the rino 120's and have since moved up to the 530's when I first got my 120's I tried to talk to my wife who was on a regular motorola radio and it sounded like another language comming out the other end, after a little reserch I figured out that the scrambler had to be turned off, have talked to others that were not on the rino on many occasions with little or no trouble, i really like the time, poll locations, send locations and a heck of a lot more we don't even use, im sold on em, one can get spoiled...Dan