Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Duck Recipes --- who has a good one?

do not know duck reciepes but duck is really good in a turducken . We made one today and it was really good .

Honestly, smoked duck is the only way to go. season them with garlic salt pepper and your favorite seasoning. 200 degrees for about 6 hours. Hit them with smoke from a fruit wood like apple or cherry for about 2 hours, turn off the smoke, wrap those puppies up with tinfoil so they don't dry out and cook em for another 3-4 hours at the same temp.

The old timers say the best way to prepare duck is to cut it up on a wooden board, scrape it off it the trash and eat the board. LOL

I have tried it in some really nice rest. and did not care for it at any of them.

smoking it sounds good! My husband is great with smoking stuff on the grill, so we will definitely do some that way. I am also going to try this Duck Ramaki recipe that my friend Linda Dightmon makes at the BOW camps. I have had it before (although I think it was with dove rather than duck) and it was awesome!

So if anyone is interested, I have attached the recipe. Works well with duck or dove and probably quail too!

thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

Duck_Ramaki.doc

Amanda:

I've never cared for wild duck or goose because it lacks the fat that makes domestic duck and goose taste so great. If I were to try to cook wild waterfowl again, though, I think I'd stuff it with a moist dressing, wrap it in bacon and slather it with oil, and baste it a lot while it roasted slowly.

Reading your post brings back memories of the best duck I ever ate. It was in the restaurant in Beijing that supposedly originated Peking duck (now called Beijing duck there, under government order).

They had at least two dozen ducks hanging in the back of a huge, open brick oven, about two feet from a charcoal fire. Every once in a while, the cook would use a metal rod to rotate the birds. Our translator said the heat reflecting off the oven's bricks took most of the day to cook all the ducks needed for each evening's customers.

She also said the ducks were force-fed for a couple of weeks before they were butchered to build up their fat.

After they took them out of the oven, the restaurant staff pulled the meat off the bones and served it with a sweet brown sauce on a Lazy Susan packed with strange things I'd never seen before. Some were good, some I couldn't eat.

Our group of 12 boisterous guys fresh from hunting elk in Mongolia had been assigned a Chinese government translator/guide who knew the people running the place, and we got the VIP treatment. This included beginning the meal with an elegant tray of plucked SPARROWS, each with its little head pointed straight up, beak open. A colorful candy sauce had been poured artistically over them.

Our guide ate most of those little things. Those of us who tried them (I did not) said sparrow breast tasted like dove.

I don't eat doves, either.

Bill Quimby

great story Bill!

I ended up doing the ducks two different ways. One was the duck ramaki, which was OUTSTANDING!! And then we also smoked a couple on the grill and then I took those and put them in a crockpot with a can of chili, a can of corn, 1/2 can of pineapple (left over from the duck ramaki recipe), some onions, red peppers, and celery. Had that last night and it was great also!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. We have another package of ducks in the freezer so I will be experimenting some more with those.

Bacon Weave

Duck/Goose

Brown Sugar

White Wine Vinegar

Butter

Soy Sauce

Pineapples

Mesquite

IMG00278-20101230-1637.jpg

IMG00279-20101230-1637.jpg

IMG00280-20101230-1637.jpg

IMG00281-20101230-1649-1.jpg

IMG00282-20101230-1907-1.jpg

Then cut into slices and eat over rice or whatever you want.

Also there are a lot of good recipes on azsj.org from some of my buddies that are amazing

Here is a quick and easy one (works good for doves too)

Spray tin foil with Pam or other non-stick spray (or coat with butter)

lay bird filets on foil

put chopped jalapeno's or green chile's on meat

put a liberal amount of cream cheese on top of chile's (the whole tub!)

lay slices of bacon on top of cream cheese

Bake or grill for 18 minutes at around 400 degrees.

The bacon grease will blend with the cream cheese to make an excellent "gravy" to eat with the meat.

Here's another one for an excellent appitizer

In a bowl mix a can of smoked oysters (oil and all) with some cilantro and a little bit of garlic.

Smash the oysters until they are puried and mix with the cilantro and garlic. Depending on how much oil in the smoked oysters you may need to add some olive oil to the mix.

Cut duck filets into 1 inch wide strips and put a layer of the oyster paste on the filet.

Put some slices of jalapeno on the filet and roll up and wrap with back holding together with a toothpick.

Grill over charcoal for 5 minutes turning in the middle DON'T OVERCOOK!