Sign in to follow this  
Stallone A.

December Hunt (Which Day to go)

Hello, I have a December tag and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on when I should go. I only have a 5 day window of opertunity to take off of work. My hunt Starts Dec 10 and ends Dec 31. I wanted to go the week of the 18-22 but it seems to me that there will be a full moon on those dates. Would I be better off going Dec 26-31 instead? Any info will help. Thanks.

The general rule is the later the better if you are wanting to take advantage of buck chasing does. I'd recommend the last five days of the year if you can.

Since the December hunts are in units with good populations, just as important is your scouting.....

If it was me I would go over the weekend of December 10-12, then again over the weekend of December 17-19, and finally I would take the five days off work and hunt December 26-31.

Good luck and be sure and post some pictures!!!

If it was me I would go over the weekend of December 10-12, then again over the weekend of December 17-19, and finally I would take the five days off work and hunt December 26-31.

Good luck and be sure and post some pictures!!!

+1

the later the better usually, but if you can go during the weekends too, why not do that along with the last 5 days.

Later the better usually!!!

as far as I'm concerned any and

all the time in the field can be rewarding , the more time out there the better your chances

especilly if you've done your "homework"

I had the same predicament as you in Dec 08. I made the wrong choice. I hunted the week before Christmas and wish I would've waited for the following reasons:

1)The weather was warm in Dec 08 and didn't cool down until Christmas - in fact I didn't see any rutting activity until the 23rd. All my friends who hunted after Christmas saw rutting every day.

2)Too much spousal pressure for you to end your hunt and get home with the family.

Case in point I ended up settling for a much smaller buck than I wanted after waiting 6 years to draw the tag.

Find a more flexible boss. It takes days to find another boss. Years to draw a late CWT tag.

I had the same predicament as you in Dec 08. I made the wrong choice. I hunted the week before Christmas and wish I would've waited for the following reasons:

1)The weather was warm in Dec 08 and didn't cool down until Christmas - in fact I didn't see any rutting activity until the 23rd. All my friends who hunted after Christmas saw rutting every day.

2)Too much spousal pressure for you to end your hunt and get home with the family.

Case in point I ended up settling for a much smaller buck than I wanted after waiting 6 years to draw the tag.

Turn off the cell phone.

Last 5 days if the rut is what you're looking for!!! First 5 days if you all ready have done your homework and have one scouted out.

well usually later the better. but since it has been a tad colder than average around se AZ. i would go early but that is just me. i would think they would be starting to show up with doe's.

Good luck i'll be out there with my bow!!!

is your work calendar flexible? if so, keep an eye on the weather report. you might plan to take certain days off only to end up with rain and wind, and then you are stuck with no more time off.

you run the same risk waiting until the last week of the hunt, you might get some crappy weather and then your hunt is over.

personally, I would be out there opening weekend. maybe take the thursday before off as well. you might find one for the next day.

some people are pretty religious about the moon phase but I think it is more important to understand how the moon phase effects the deer. I think people did better this year on the Oct hunts than the first Nov hunts and the Oct hunt had a full moon. typically with a full moon, the deer will bed earlier in the morning but will be up earlier in the afternoon. if you have good weather, deer should be active on and off during the day regardless of moon phase.

IMO, due to the thanksgiving hunt, dec hunts are not what they use to be.

good luck!

Last 5 days

Thanks everybody, I have taken the last 5 days off from work. That makes it a 7 day hunt, I would love to go opening morning but I don't know if I can take off of work. Lets see how the boss is feeling... Thanks for all the post,