lionhunter

The "impact" of a bullet

Contrary to the topic of this post, this post has nothing to do with what or how a bullet performs when it makes contact with an animal. It has everything to do with how a bullet can impact a young "hunter".

The story goes something like this: My son Hunter had a pig tag down south about a month ago. In 4 days we were on pigs 3 times. The first two times a shot never panned out. The 3rd time worked out just right, but Hunter missed his shot at 125 yards off the shooting sticks. (The day before he smoked a coyote at 119) He was absolutely bummed out about the missed shot. The Friday after his hunt we went out and checked his .243 to make sure the gun was not the culprit. 200 yards it was dead on. While we were out there he asked if he could shoot my .270 WSM. I told him that he wanted nothing to do with the recoil, and the only thing left to shoot was a milk jug filled with water at 320 yards. He begged to shoot it so I let him. He blew the jug up. Remember this kid just turned 10. He was hooked. "Dad this is the gun I want to use on my Deer hunt in November"....

Fast forward to this past Friday, Nov 26. Day one we glassed up many deer, two of which being spikes, and o yes a herd of 20 or so pigs that teased him at less than 200 yards for over an hour.. He decided that he did not want to shoot a spike on the first day. Yes, he hears too many of my friends talking about "holding out" for a good buck. Day two we glassed another Mt. lion within the 1st 20 min of sunlight. That is the second lion I have seen in as many hunting trips in the last month. While looking at the lion, my buddy called on the radio to tell me that had glassed 4 bucks just over the hill from us. The four bucks were 590 yards out. Too far for an ethical shot from a 10 year old. Hunter and I took off up the ridge to get a closer shot. After about an hour of glassing we finally found the deer. 320 yards out. All four bucks were still together, but in a difficult spot; in and out of the thick stuff. Finally the largest of the bucks presented a shot. I told hunter to use the second crosshair and let it eat. Boom, he shot high! The deer bolted about 100 yards and calmed down. My radio was going crazy.... "Get up the hill they are still up there". We hustled up the hill as quickly as we could, topped out and found the bucks at 150 yards in the ocatillos (sp ??). Hunter settled in behind the rifle, and got it done with the .270 WSM... He went crazy, " Dad I got him, I got him........

I could not be more proud of him. He learned that hard work, and persistence pay off, he learned to quarter a deer, and of course, how to pack it out. And he did it all without complaint....

Thanks for reading,

Whitey

post-2950-1291085299_thumb.jpg

post-2950-1291085322_thumb.jpg

post-2950-1291085351_thumb.jpg

Way to go Hunter!! Congrats on a successful hunt.

very cool!!

:ph34r: