Sign in to follow this  
azhunter85

pops n I score on our late hunt

Well, we did it! It was a long and TOUGH hunt, there were so many hunters and not enough elk to go around. This was the fifth bull hunt in this particular unit and it sure showed out there. The elk were not in their usual spots, I had this tag last year and five of us killed bulls in four days, we had scouted and had them located and the fun began. This year with the scouting and hair pulling we had a heck of a time finding bulls. By day 4 we had only seen 5 bulls, nothing worth shooting for us. Me, Brittany, and my dad hiked our butts off trying to locate where they were. We barely heard any shooting and were not seeing any dead bulls coming from other camps. Monday afternoon found us driving to new locations trying to get away from all the dang hunters, there was some fresh snow on the ground and the elk tracks showed they were being pushed all over. So we headed for some counrty that they should pull to with the pressure and started our hike. As I neared the edge of the draw I could see a elk laying down below us 250 yards, it was a bull. A quick glance and I could see he was a small 4x4 but as I scanned I found four other bulls laying down. After trying to get my father into postion the wind swirled and they caught our wind, they got up and started to move out and up the canyon. I laid my pack down and got rested as we talked to each other trying to get a shot at the 6 by. I was trying to let him shoot first but he couldn't find a rest he liked, so i said im going to have a shot. The bulls were in a line quartring away from us and the bigger bull was second in line. My father said take a shot if you get one and i did not hesitate. As the 5x5 walked through i invisioned my shot and when the sis hit the window at 330 yards I let one fly. I tried to lead him thinking with the yardage and with him walking I needed to. Well my bullet hit right were I was aiming and dropped him. I was looking for was a nice 6x6 unbroken bull this year, last year my bull was busted up a little bit. He was a perfect end for this great year of hunting for us. I was perfectly happy with this bull and my dad not being able to get a shot ended up being good thing for him. We hunted the next couple days turning up small bulls and that was it. My dad was not going to just kill an elk he wanted a good bull and was not worried about going home empty handed. On the second to last day we found some bulls in the back of a small draw up in the flats, (this is why they were not were they should of been) we started glassing and quickly turned up six bulls, three four points, a 5x5 and 2 6x6s. The one bull we knew was a shooter no doubt, he had good fronts, thirds and beams. my dad said he wanted to take this bull so we were off to get closer. We got to about 360 yards and we could not go any further, so i set my tripod up and my dad took aim. He was a little excited being this was the biggest bull so far we had found. He took two shots at the bull and as far as we could tell they were misses. Daylight was fading fast so we took off to get on the tracks and look for blood. I grabbed my tripod and the three of us made our way to the ridge. I took off up to the top wanting to catch them and found my self 100 yards from horn tips in the grass moving along slowly. I quickly set my tripod up in a standing position and my father took rest. The bulls had grouped backed together and were working their way broadside to us at 100 yards!!! After some quick confusion on where the bigger bull was he stepped out, we confirmed quickly that that was him and my dad hammered him. We cant deny but some tears fell when we walked up on this bull, we had worked really hard and hunted all day every day for this one moment. Its been five years since me and him shared an archery hunt and killed two bulls and to be able to get rifle tags and have it turn out the way we wanted was way too perfect to close the year out. We ended up going 100% on 9 hunts between me my dad and brittany, and for the three of us to sit there as the sun set and look at his bull was something we will never forget. His bull ended up scoring 330 with a couple inches broke off his one third, Hope you all enjoy! THX

2010elkhunt009.jpg

gotta love the bandlands!!

2010elkhunt012.jpg

elk2010002.jpg

elk2010007.jpg

elk2010013.jpg

elk2010017.jpg

2010elkhunt063.jpg

2010elkhunt059.jpg

2010elkhunt070.jpg

A tough hunt, great bulls tagged, and sheds...a hunt you'll remember with your pop no doubt!

You know that girl has been on all your hunts as of late.....I don't see a ring on that finger but you really should get her one! That's one tough chick. Congrats to you and your pops. Hunting with your dad is a great blessing. I absolutely love huntin' with mine.

Scott

Oh man great story and what an emocional hunt. Any one one of us will give anything to have our dads on a hunt like yours. Congratulations, awesome hunt.

Ernesto C