Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

My Wife's First Elk

I have been putting my wife in for elk for the last 5 years and she finally drew a unit 1 East cow tag that started last Friday. We love to get away from the kids and get out hunting together. It is about as good as it gets for me to be out hunting with my wife. I have been crazy busy with work and helping my buddy with his desert sheep hunt. So I asked Tommy "TomGobbler" to help me out by doing a little scouting for me because I couldn't get up there to scout right before the hunt. We live in Yuma and have a cabin in Springerville, so I do spend a lot of time up there and know the unit pretty well but not as well as Tommy and not at this particular time. Well like usual Tommy had some cows lined up opening morning. We found them at first light and were seconds away from shooting at one when another hunter dropped the hammer before my wife could. Oh well on to the next canyon. We walked our butts off that morning and had one chance but they would not stay still to get a good shot. So after lunch I wanted to go check out another glassing spot where we could see a ton of country. When we pulled up to the glassing spot Tommy and I got out and each took a couple steps and both saw the elk at the same time. We got DeeDee out of the truck and I got her set up on some shooting sticks and ranged the cow at 424 yards. I knew she could make the shot as she has proven herself to me many times. I dialed the turrets on the 270 WSM and told her to just get comfortable. I was telling her not to shoot if she wasn't comfortable and BOOM! I wasn't expecting the shot and it scared me enough to knock me back on my butt. When I got my glasses up all I could see was the feet sticking up above the cedars. I couldn't believe it. She dropped that cow in it's tracks. Tommy and I were giving high fives and I gave my wife a huge hug. To say I was proud of her was an understatement. We finally made it down to this huge cow she had shot and took some great pictures. Come to find out she had hit that thing with a perfect high shoulder shot taking out the top part of the lungs and breaking the entire shoulder out of both sides. That 130 grain accubond acted like a 300 weatherby. It was such a great experience for her and I. We will never forget it ever. I think Tommy will remember it as well. Tommy was a God send. With out him I would have probably died trying to get that cow out. We skinned, quartered and hung all the meat for the night and Tommy picked me up the next morning with 3 horses and his son Trace and we rode in 5 miles to get all the meat out. It topped off the hunt. Thanks again to the best hunting buddy around old "TomGobbler" you are the greatest my friend. The best part of the whole thing was watching my favorite hunting partner make such a great shot and take her first big game animal. Hope you enjoy the pics.

scowhunt022.jpg

Me and my beautiful wife. I know now if she ever gets mad enough I am in trouble even a long ways away.

scowhunt020.jpg

DeeDee and her big old cow.

scowhunt024.jpg

Tommy and DeeDee. With out Tommy we would still be hauling that thing out and probably would have never killed it.

packout2.th.jpg

1packout.th.jpg

Our saving grace. Tommy has some great horses if you ever get an elk down up north and need help getting it out. Give him a call. You will never regret it.

My pleasure as always getting to hunt with you matt, and an added bonus to get to hunt with you're amazing wife. She had matt buggin her in one ear, and me in the other, and still held her cool while shooting at 425 yards. It was awesome to see that cows feet sticking straight up kicking for a few seconds. We worked hard, and we put her through some grueling hikes, with never a complaint one. It was one great day of hunting, one i'll not soon forget, Thanks Matt for letting me be apart of it all, and for getting to crash your hunt, it was one neat day!

tommy

Yes! That cow elk is HUGE! Great hunt and great team work with Tommy there. Congrats to your wife Matt and good shooting.

Ernesto C