Sign in to follow this  
redline410

Scratched my mule deer itch

Before last Friday, it had been 7 years since I really hunted for mule deer. All the big bucks that have been going down lately had me in a fighting an internal battle of good and evil and last Sunday, I succumbed to the tantalizing allure of the forked rack..... and to be quite honest, I loved every second of it..... Well, right up to the point I got the pack on for the hump out..... not cool, not cool at all......

So after two days of being speed bagged by his relentless harem of doe, I set out Sunday with very low expectations. Wouldn't you know it, on the opposing ridge, I see this :ph34r:

post-825-1295289307_thumb.jpg

and hour and a half later- bring on the cheese fest!

post-825-1295289295_thumb.jpg

I was reminded that mature mule deer are large critters. Lay one on a 70° incline every little move is an adventure.

based on girth alone, I'm thinking he out weighed me by a good 40lbs so I'm not entirely sure why I thought holding on to him would do much good. looking back, if gavity would have taken hold, there was little I was going to stop the decent... :blink:

post-825-1295289301_thumb.jpg

Only a 3x4 but my best mule deer by far.

post-825-1295289288_thumb.jpg

Got the mule deer itch scratched... Back to coues come 2012... only 348 more days... :(

Thanks for looking-

Dave

Awesome buck!! Congrats! I know what you mean about the internal battle, sometimes you have do just go with it.

I dont think there would be any battle over taking a deer like that. Who cares if its a whitetail, mule deer, January or October. Big deer is a big deer! Man I really need to get a bow!

Nice n tall, with the character only a 3x4 has...Great job!

Ah, yeah--packin a Muley out will help to want to make you hunt coues again ;) Congrats on a fine buck!

Kevin

Nice job! You carried that thing out on your back? Holy smokes you are an Ox.

Ha, y'all are getting a little outta control now.

There are a few fully functioning brain cells left that are rattling around in that melon of mine. Never gave much credence to the "strong back, weak mind" philosophy and have become fairly proficient at reducing ungulates down to bags of meat and horn. the reference to the pack out was simply comparing the amount of boneless meat one must strap to the pack. pretty sure the cape out weighed my entire coues from last year.....

Thanks for all comments- as always, I had a blast....

Dave