Sign in to follow this  
Brian Payne

Fawn killer caught in the act!

Not meaning to high jack but that lion doesnt have a lion tail.

Looks like a bobcat to me.

Still, incredible trail cam video!

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff

Wow, now I see it. It does look like a bobcat!

Jeff

your right. it is a bobcat

Jeff

Jeff

I've watched it several times now and I'm still not convinced. Maybe a lion that lost his tail?

That video is actually from a family member at the ranch, and it's a bobcat not a lion. The cameras are on different watering areas to catch various types of traffic in the area.

This should open a lot of peoples eyes on bobcats. A lot of people think bobcats don't or very rarely kill fawns. I have witnessed three different kills last year. One kill which was a fawn 20yards in front of me (during the chaos I shot the cat, unfortunately the fawn had already been killed). The other two kills were on fully grown does. The mountain lions are not the sole problem for the impact on the deer, there are hungry bobcats and coyotes too.

• Like 1

Last November while glassing some does I saw a cat slip in on them and was sure I would see the predator/prey relationship in action but the bobcat didnt close the deal and the deer scattered a short distance. I tried getting over to kill the bobcat but was too late as it ran the deer into another canyon and I couldnt find them. Was very interesting to watch. I knew bobcats would take new fawns but didnt think it would go after grown fawns or adult does. My opinion has changed now after witnessing it.

Jeff

Now that's amazing!! I was cheering for the fawn, he landed some good kicks in there even tho it didn't matter.

Yeah me too. At least he went down swinging, I guess.

That video is actually from a family member at the ranch, and it's a bobcat not a lion. The cameras are on different watering areas to catch various types of traffic in the area.

I assume you are referring to the Magee Ranch? I was given the video by the caretaker of the Florida workstation who claimed that he got it off of his camera in Florida Canyon in the Santa Ritas. I still think it is a young mountain lion. I don't think you ever see the tail well enough in the video to use it as a reference. Body shape and coloring looks like a lion to me.

Thanks for sharing ... All part of circle of life..

At the beginning and then quickly at the end you can see the tail. Looks like a bobcat.

Either way that in a very impressive video. Thanks for sharing.