Sign in to follow this  
BikerRN

Border Hunting

Howdy all.

New guy here with a question or three.

I haven't hunted in AZ since probably 1988, and a lot has changed in the border region since then. With all the illegal aliens and dope smugglers, what's the situation like for solo and pairs hunting the canyons near the Mexican border? Is it really as bad as some would like me to believe, or can one still hunt that area during hunting season without much worry?

I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on this issue, as it will factor in to where I put in for. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration in this matter.

Biker

Good morning Biker, and welcome to the site!

You will get exactly what you asked for on this topic; OPINIONS! And we all know what those are like.... ;)

Here is mine: I have hunted in the 36 units for many years now. I'm not a '36 local', so I'm not down there every weekend, but I have spent a bit of time there over the years with friends and my kids. There is no doubt that the illegal border crossers (whether it is 'working immigrants' or smugglers/coyotes have had an impact there. That being said, I have camped with large groups of people, and I have camped/hunted with just myself & my kids, and I have camped/hunted by myself on occasion.

I have NEVER had a problem. Have I seen trash left by illegals? Yes! Have I seen illegals? Yes! Have I seen LOT'S of Border Patrol agents? Yes! Have I ever had a 'problem' down there? NO!

What happened to Robert Krentz was truly a tragedy! There have also been many accounts of Border Patrol and other agencies having run-ins with illegal’s, smugglers, and coyotes. Their job is to look for and confront these people. The fact is that the cases of recreational hunters having problems/run-ins with trouble are VERY rare. Sure, there are incidents, but given the number of hunting tags given out down there and the number of illegal’s, the % rate of actual 'incidents' is extremely low. IMO, the illegal crossers (whether farmers/workers or smugglers) want NOTHING to do with an American hunter packing a gun! In general they run, hide, and basically do anything they can to not have a confrontation.

Bottom line is, I have never felt un-safe hunting down there. I would NEVER take my kids there if I felt it was un-safe.

Again, many on this site may disagree with me, but you asked for an opinion and that's mine.

Good luck to you!

S.

:)

• Like 1

I too humt the 36's during the archery seasons.

I don't neccessarily feel unsafe when Im down there camping and hunting alone or with a small group , but I have had numerous hunting situations ruined by illegal activity and by border patrol agents doing their job.

I can't count the times that I've been about to close the deal on a buck and it's been busted up by B.P. or aliens. It chapps my hide when it happens , but it's part of doing business down by the border. If you are going to hunt it you have to put up with it and hope the next encounter goes down with no interference.

There is a ton of garbage in the washes and hidee holes and the Illegal trails are like freeways. ! :angry:

I have hunted the 36s a few times as well as doing some of the clean up projects down there. I never felt unsafe or had any problems. I have camped alone and in large groups.

I plan on putting in for the deer hunt down there. I figure as long as you lock up the goods or have someone stay back at camp, your good if you are really worried about it. My run in with any border crossers has been uneventful, as they just want to keep moving. Hunt hard and remember you have camo on and can hide!

Good morning Biker, and welcome to the site!

You will get exactly what you asked for on this topic; OPINIONS! And we all know what those are like.... ;)

Here is mine: I have hunted in the 36 units for many years now. I'm not a '36 local', so I'm not down there every weekend, but I have spent a bit of time there over the years with friends and my kids. There is no doubt that the illegal border crossers (whether it is 'working immigrants' or smugglers/coyotes have had an impact there. That being said, I have camped with large groups of people, and I have camped/hunted with just myself & my kids, and I have camped/hunted by myself on occasion.

I have NEVER had a problem. Have I seen trash left by illegals? Yes! Have I seen illegals? Yes! Have I seen LOT'S of Border Patrol agents? Yes! Have I ever had a 'problem' down there? NO!

What happened to Robert Krentz was truly a tragedy! There have also been many accounts of Border Patrol and other agencies having run-ins with illegal’s, smugglers, and coyotes. Their job is to look for and confront these people. The fact is that the cases of recreational hunters having problems/run-ins with trouble are VERY rare. Sure, there are incidents, but given the number of hunting tags given out down there and the number of illegal’s, the % rate of actual 'incidents' is extremely low. IMO, the illegal crossers (whether farmers/workers or smugglers) want NOTHING to do with an American hunter packing a gun! In general they run, hide, and basically do anything they can to not have a confrontation.

Bottom line is, I have never felt un-safe hunting down there. I would NEVER take my kids there if I felt it was un-safe.

Again, many on this site may disagree with me, but you asked for an opinion and that's mine.

Good luck to you!

S.

:)

+1 to everything Stan stated. I as well have hunted with my boys down there for several years, and will continue to do so. I also do a fair amount of solo archery in 36a, and make it a point to ask anyone I come across what their experiences have been like with illegals. Most have had no trouble, and a very few have had minimal issues. They are great units for deer and pigs, and with minimal scouting effort you can find where the good pockets are. I do agree that camping in numbers is a benefit, plus you will sleep better knowing you are not alone.

I have spent a TON of days in the 35's and 36's and will not let the current border issues stop me from hunting in OUR country, however I am more careful I always carry firearms even scouting (even though if you run into the wrong people they probably wont help) and I dont like to be out alone unless its daylight. I have had an issue with an illegal immigrant however I have had many many more days where nothing happens and it is just like hunting further north. I think as long as you are aware of the dangers and go prepared you will be fine. Just remember to be especially careful and you should be fine!

Thank you all!

Great information, and quite encouraging when compared with some other sites I checked. I'm crossing my fingers, although early yet, that I will get drawn when I put in.

Biker

It's pretty much the same hunting along the border as it is taking a walk through downtown phoenix at midnight, just be prepared to protect yourself incase anything happens, same ole same ole

Thank you all!

Great information, and quite encouraging when compared with some other sites I checked. I'm crossing my fingers, although early yet, that I will get drawn when I put in.

Biker

It's pretty much the same hunting along the border as it is taking a walk through downtown phoenix at midnight, just be prepared to protect yourself incase anything happens, same ole same ole

Thank you all!

Biker

LOL, it's funny you should mention walking through downtown Phoenix at midnight. I don't find that to be the least bit intimidating and have walked in worse places.

Biker

Ill be honest with you. I have a place in Arivaca, and Hunt 36A and B ALL the time. I scout there all the time. I have always supported that people are off their rockers about it being so dangerous. look through my post history on the subject. This year during hunting season I know of 2 people personally from 2 different groups jumped by illegals and smugglers. One was with his buddy caping. He walked a bit away to pee and was jumped from out of the bushes. they were waiting on him. He yelled for help to his buddy and this was one time he did not bring his pistol with him to pee. BP apprehended 1 of the 3 guys.

This is getting bad down there. I am WAY cautious down there now.

I have hunted 36B for about 10 years now and occassionally 36a and 36c and have never had a problem with the illegals or drug smugglers. I have ran into both on plenty occassions and they have either stayed down and tried to hide or just continued on their way. That being said I always have a sidearm with me because you never really no someones intentions and I have heard stories as well as others on this site. Theres just too much good hunting to let the illegals and smugglers get the best of it.

Josh