runningbird

archery rut hunt

Heck just today, I had observed a 3X3 WT buck chasing a doe around. I've been scouting for this weeks archery hunt/outing and built a little blind in a natural funnel. Hope it pays off. I plan on sitting this spot come thursday morning. :)

Heck just today, I had observed a 3X3 WT buck chasing a doe around. I've been scouting for this weeks archery hunt/outing and built a little blind in a natural funnel. Hope it pays off. I plan on sitting this spot come thursday morning.  ;)

i hunted this week end and we all shot bucks 3 of us and my pardner shot a 128 buck ,i sat next to him and watched it all happen it was great and it was a tail not a muley

Heck just today, I had observed a 3X3 WT buck chasing a doe around. I've been scouting for this weeks archery hunt/outing and built a little blind in a natural funnel. Hope it pays off. I plan on sitting this spot come thursday morning.? ;)

i hunted this week end and we all shot bucks 3 of us and my pardner shot a 128 buck ,i sat next to him and watched it all happen it was great and it was a tail not a muley

coues4ever,

Can you post a pic of your bucks? Love to see that 128.

An archery WT buck taken on San Carlos. A nice 4X4 WT (85-87in) taken at 12 yds. with my trusty 32in. axle MIRAGE Browning bow with 125gr MUZZY. Excellent hunt in unit D east on San Carlos. Started out pretty late about in the AM on thursday. At about 7:45am spotted two WT does, mother and fawn. We then drove up to my usual vantage point and immediately glassed up 3 more does scurring off to their beds for the day.

With the morning hunt coming to an end, we decided to head back and grab our shotguns and headout for quail.

On the way down the Mtn. I spot this buck walking into a dry wash bed at 11:00am. I don't know what this buck was thinking, but it sure didn't look like typical WT country too me. Area is covered with chapparel,yucca and Catclaws. Pretty much open country with a few mesquites.

We watched the buck for about 40 minutes until he walked over a small ridge.

So I made a mad dash to get up to the last spot we had seen him crossover.

Before I topped over I slipped my boots off and stalked with bow at the ready.

I peered over nothing, looked to right and left nothing. So I stood there waiting and searching. Finally the buck appears crossing a small ravine in front of me at about 80yds.

The wind was to my advantage so I waited him out. I mentally marked the last spot he stood and fed. I went back and grabbed my boots ,but when I got back he was gone. I immediately put my gear down and walked to a high spot to try locate the buck. I would walk about 10 yds and glass. I searched for about 20 minutes until I finally made him out under a small mesquite, bedded up. The stalk was on!

So I picked up my gear and slowly made my way down to the small ravine about 80-90yds from the bedded buck. Checked the wind again, it was OK. Once again I slipped my boots off and made my way to the bedded buck.

I got to within 30 yds but no shot. The buck stood up once and looked straight at me for 8-10 minutes before laying back down again, wow. There was just one little branch between me and buck that I needed to get around. I took a couple of quick steps around and got ready. Nothing happened. I then took a few more steps gave a whistle nothing happened. Took 3 more big steps and spotted the bedded buck. Located an open shot and took it at 12 yds. Exciting! The shot was a clean pass-through, kinda quartering-toward. Entered just back behind the foreleg and exited through the right rear hindquarters. The buck then bolted over the ridge and out of sight. I slowly crept back to my gear and boots and called my buddy on the handheld radio to come help me track. We found the buck piled up at the bottom of the ridge. Great hunt and what an excellent time to just be out there. :P

Awesome hunt the way you tell it we were all there with you.Congrats,waiting for the pic's

12yds. very cool :D

Congrats. Love to see some pics.

The only photo I had taken that day is with a picture phone. I do not have a Digital camera. Hey it's X-mas, Santa may have something for me.

Merry christmas and a Happy an Safe New years..... :D

I 'll try and post that picture phone photo.

WOW!!! Double congrats to you for stalking a Whitetail buck and finishing the job!!! YOu need to change your name to Apache Stalker. I hope to accomplish that someday.

What a Christmas story and Gift! Sounds like you were on santa's "nice" list!

Congratulations!

Good grief Dan that was freakin awesome!!!

So far from my stand I've passed 3 small bucks, all of which I've gotten plenty of pics of this fall on my trail cameras. 1st buck I passed at 12 yards and the next two I passed at 38 yards cause I'm still waiting for a big one to come close enough. I did have a low to mid 90's buck come to about 55 yards and bed down for nearly 2 hours but he wouldn't come any closer. Haven't seen much rut activity yet but I did find 2 scrapes close by so I put 2 of my cameras over them so we'll see what's going on when I get up there. I was tempted to move my stand about 40 yards closer to their bedding area but I thought I just might mess all my hard work up if I did that. Who knows, I still might though. I'll just have to wait and see if they start rutting this week, this heat is just nuts!

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Coues buck with a BOW at 12 YARDS!!!

I second name change! APACHE STALKER has a nice ring to it!

Congradulations, I hope to do the same one day.

:D

I e-mailed amanda a picture phone photo and a pic of last years archery buck I also had taken on San Carlos last year. Two WT bucks in row whoohoo. Last year I took my first WT buck with the same equipment, maybe even the same arrow. I may have to check it out.

You don't need all the new gadgets and trinkets to take your first buck. Just go out there and make it happen. Keep the wind in your favor, stalk like a cat and shoot straight. Heck I was wearing no camo on the first hunt. This second time I just wore a pair of worn blue jeans, and my favorite predator-camo shirt jacket. Patience and confidence can go a long way. Good luck fellas....and keep at it. :(