catclaw

Sick of the Arrogance

The problem here is the dumb emphasis on hunting strictly for trophies that has spread like a cancer over the past 25-30 years. And, like other cancers, it eventually will result in the death of its host.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

The problem here is the dumb emphasis on hunting strictly for trophies that has spread like a cancer over the past 25-30 years. And, like other cancers, it eventually will result in the death of its host.

Bill Quimby

:D

Bill Quimby

A perversion of sorts, actually. :(

Nothing wrong with killing big animals or wanting to kill big animals. The problem is in the human ego. The first and original meaning of the word "pride", which is an overly high and undue opinion of one's self. It is a condition that has plagued humanity since the first man.

Mike

Bill Quimby

Awesome statement and coming from a hunters Hunter :)

We are spoiled here in Arizona we kill the biggest bulls in the world! A 300 archery bull used to be like WOW,. now days its like whats a matter with you. Most of us are to worried about what others think and not what we want in our heart.

We should pursue our own levels of accomplishment that makes us feel good about the whole hunt from the scouting to the kill!

If a guy wants to continue to pursue a animal thats bigger than what he has harvested before more power to him. Its all about personal achievements!

I'll be honest with you guys I put to much pressure on myself based on what others see and percieve!

I have more fun helping someone else harvest thier game than mine!

Just my 2 cents

Bill Quimby

Totally agree Mr. Quimby!!

I waited almost 10 years before I drew my one and only archery bull elk tag in 2009. Here's the end result:

DSC_3101-1.jpg

A lot of guys gave me crap for "wasting" my tag on a spike. I couldn't care less what guys said. I hunted hard for a week and took the first bull that I had the opportunity to shoot. Plus, I got to spend a full week in elk camp with my dad. It was just him and me for the whole hunt and I couldn't have asked for a better hunting partner!!!

Bill Quimby

I waited almost 10 years before I drew my one and only archery bull elk tag in 2009. Here's the end result:

DSC_3101-1.jpg

A lot of guys gave me crap for "wasting" my tag on a spike. I couldn't care less what guys said. I hunted hard for a week and took the first bull that I had the opportunity to shoot. Plus, I got to spend a full week in elk camp with my dad. It was just him and me for the whole hunt and I couldn't have asked for a better hunting partner!!!

That's a great picture and the memories will be forever etched in your mind. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. It's stories like this that I enjoy the most.

TJ

Bill Quimby

DSC_3101-1.jpg

That's awesome!

I made some great memories with my dad on my first Archery Rut tag too, and we came home without a bull. 8 years later I finally drew another tag and got my bull. Had just as much fun on the first hunt though.

Too many people judge their manliness and hunting skill -- and that of others -- by the size of the horns and antlers brought home.

It did not take many years of editing the SCI record book to realize that skill is not necessary to kill the biggest and the best. If you have lots of money anything is possible, including a Coues whitetail that would shove Ed Stockwell's into second place, if that's what you set out to do.

There are guys out there now who are hunting ten to twelve months of the year all over this world, and spending $500,000-$750,000 each year to do so. They can afford to hire a crew to work as long as it takes to locate and take them to the new world-record Coues whitetail, but if all else fails they can always pay to have one grown for them in Mexico.

All it would take would be an unlimited budget, five or six years, a deer-proof enclosure stocked with a dozen Coues deer with good genetics, and a qualified d biologist/deer nutritionist to supervise the operation. I suspect such projects already are underway in Sonora and Chihuahua.

At any rate, I feel sorry for those who still judge the quality of their trophies with measuring tapes instead of memories. I fell into that trap early on, but eventually outgrew it.

Bill Quimby

Too many people judge their manliness and hunting skill -- and that of others -- by the size of the horns and antlers brought home.

It did not take many years of editing the SCI record book to realize that skill is not necessary to kill the biggest and the best. If you have lots of money anything is possible, including a Coues whitetail that would shove Ed Stockwell's into second place, if that's what you set out to do.

There are guys out there now who are hunting ten to twelve months of the year all over this world, and spending $500,000-$750,000 each year to do so. They can afford to hire a crew to work as long as it takes to locate and take them to the new world-record Coues whitetail, but if all else fails they can always pay to have one grown for them in Mexico.

All it would take would be an unlimited budget, five or six years, a deer-proof enclosure stocked with a dozen Coues deer with good genetics, and a qualified d biologist/deer nutritionist to supervise the operation. I suspect such projects already are underway in Sonora and Chihuahua.

At any rate, I feel sorry for those who still judge the quality of their trophies with measuring tapes instead of memories. I fell into that trap early on, but eventually outgrew it.

Bill Quimby

Bingo.

Other hunter to my wife - "What does he score?"

My wife - "Who cares? I found him and shot him on my own. And I haven't been this excited in a LONG time."

I respect a DIY guy that earned and shot a 2 point fair and square on his own, a heck of a lot more than a guy who was led by the hand to a 115 buck.

I certainly understand someone who is a stranger in a strange land hiring a guide, but for the life of me don't see the reward in hiring one when you hunt in your own state. I consider myself a trophy hunter, but we ALL enjoy the heck out eating wild game and I find a huge sense of pride in doing so as well. I don't think there's any shame in going home empty if you were trying to harvest a biggun and I feel that lots of guys shoot smaller animals because they will feel inferior in some way if they come home empty handed. I normally set my goals high, hold out and then as the hunt is winding down, lower my standards.

I also would be sickened a bit by a guy who hired a guide to kill a whopper and then let it go to his head. I hang out will all DIY guys so I don't run into this scenario though.

Bill Quimby

This has got to be one of my all time favorite statements I've read on any hunting forum. You have an awesome way with words Mr. Quimby.

I certainly wasn't implying don't shoot smaller animals, to each his own. I finally drew another archery bull tag and I will shoot anything on the last day for the meat. I was just saying it's ok to go home empty, there's no shame in setting goals and sticking to them.

At any rate, I feel sorry for those who still judge the quality of their trophies with measuring tapes instead of memories.

AWESOME!