coueshunter

Unit 1 & 27

I spoke to the forest service today. They are opening more roads tomorrow. When you view the map of "open roads" it looks like many are open. It appears that by hunt time, most roads will be accesible......AT.......

I went up to Alpine yesterday looked at the purposed closure map of 27 there is some questions on boundaries on the closed parts, pretty much if you want to know if it is open look at the burn servility map. if it is a big blob of red it is closed, they said they would put it out to the public as soon as it was approved. Hoping to be in the woods Monday. I will post back on Monday night

Jeff in Eagar

Well 27 is now open 3-big closures Fish creek, Middle mtn, and Prime cyn are closed the gal at the front desk told me that if it is not marked with a yellow line it is closed and accessible by foot only but closed to all motor vehicles so dont get caught down a side road, Im not sure this is true but that is what she was told me, I asked her if their were more roads to be open before the hunting season started. she was told that no more would open and this is it. I have a hard time in believing that as well, you can go to the Apache Sitgraves web site to see the map.

Good luck

Jeff in Eagar

Here is a new release from the Forest Service. It looks like anyone with a hunting license and tag for units 1 and 27 will be allowed to travel down road not marked with a white arrow. I was scouting on Monday and Tuesday and saw lots of people driving down roads not marked with a white arrow. It looks like the FS has some common scense and realized this was going to become a huge issue so they just opened it. Some areas are still closed to all access but there is plentty of open area. I'm just glad I can finally get into some areas that were not marked with white arrows.

Didn't see a lot of bulls and never saw any big bulls but did see plenty of cows. The big boys will be there when the rut starts.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5326221.pdf

Drew the 27 muzzleloader tag in sept after 17yrs,,,,never hunted elk before, only with others I have never had a tag.....scouted this week,,,plenty of elk..I am not hiring a guide but I dont want to blow this hunt so I gladly welcome comments on what others would do,,,,Maybe Amanda and Scott will throw me a bone,,,,....

Wow, this is giong to be strange...The FS has opened a number of roads, along with logging permits, but areas South of 260 will remain largely accessible, even on roads not marked for general travel or firewood cutting for big game tag holders.

Meanwhile, most of the area is closed off to the public unless marked by a "ground-level" white arrow, and access is limited to retrieval of game, unless any danger of soil damage is predicted.

As a guy with a tag in hand, I've seen the maps, I've heard the rhetoric. Overall, I'm glad so much of the unit will be open to huting, even more than I expected open to vehicular traffic. It's going to be very confusing in there when it comes to who can drive where, and what they can do while there, etc.

Overall, I'm really happy about the latest turn of events, because anyone with a unit 1 elk tag has access to pretty much the whole unit, minus 3-4 totally closed out areas.

Drove up to unit 27 for the day on Tuesday from Tucson. Saw alot of wildlife. Saw about 30+ elk (no bulls just 2 spikes)saw a few mule deer(nice little forky) saw some antelope and saw 2 black bear cubs and a sow.(ALL in about 9 hours) The flooding gets crazy when it starts to rain. Got caught in a monsoon and it was a fun experience. Alot of new healthy growth is coming up, elk looked nice and fat. Gonna leave in a week for my Bull Hunt. Cant wait and good luck to everyone who has tags.

Was in 27 and 1 today it looks pretty good seen a couple of shooter bulls in both units, If I can make one suggestion would be to have some type of muck boots and plan on having a messy camp because of all the mud and ash I did find a brown shed (un-burned) 4 point and a 6x7 340ish half burned skull walked about 4 country miles in the muck. What a mess, lots of washed out roads, still raining everyday

spent 2 hours hucking rocks in a washed out part of a road just to come across a fallen tree that I could not get around That sucked. Oh yeah the other suggestion would be to keep a chain saw it the truck

and Jim our raspberry bushes are gone looks like a moon scape rocky riverbed Dang it.

Jeff in Eagar

Yep, good boots are going to be a must! Was up last weekend and there was standing water everywhere. If you walk acroos any open flat ground there is standing water 2 or 3 inches deep. FS has opened up most of both units so access isn't going to be an issue. One suggestion to all is to stay off the 4 wheelers. If we start tearing up roads they will not be happy and may start to close stuff back up. I spent most of one day hiking around and found lots of elk sign. Got some great bulls on camera and the elk were still bugling at 1030am. When it clouds up and rains in the afternoons the elk get active again. Should be a great year.