Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Eberlestock Packs

Having a hard time determining which Eberlestock pack to get. It will be for day hunts purposes. Rifle and bow hunting, normally carrying more gear (son's gear also) but that is changing now....he's gonna be caring mine, but still looking for a pack to hold a little more.

Appreciate you sharing your Eberlestock pack and why you like or don't like it.

I am leaning towards the X2 or the J series packs.

Redman

I use the J34 becuase it is like a large daypack but can also carry more than most men can when you need to pack meat out. The X2 is a great little pack but it doesn't have the good harness like the J series. Another reason I like the J34 is it has enough room inside to carry my clothing as I shed layers.

Hope this helps.

I use the gunslinger. It can easily hold a quartered up whitetail or elk hind quarter plus some. I like it because my bipod doesn't get in the way with it. The smaller scabards will also work with the bipod too, they are just a snug fit. I use the larger scabard to haul 2 tripods and a grunt tube if archery hunting. The X series are great packs too, only a little smaller. My buddy packed out an entire desert sheep on an X1. My dad also uses an X1. I've never wished my gunslinger was bigger. I also have a frame pack wich rarely gets used. I use my gunslinger even when packing out bulls. The J series are great too, I've just never had the need for a larger pack.

I have the J105 (the one they don't make anymore). I love the pack. It is built well, carry's a load well. I use the scabbard to carry my tripod with binos attached more than I use it to carry a rifle. If I didn't have the J105 I would probably get the gunslinger. As Youngbuck said, it is large enough for most hunts, but still a good size for those shorter day or half day hunts. The scabbard is a little larger which gives it more functionality. Regardless of which pack you get I'm sure it will be a great one.

Thanks for the replies.

I watched a video of the J34 and really like it, also the gunslinger 2 is very nice.....ugh....decision....decision

I've got a dragonfly and love it for packing out sheds and carrying all my optics shedhunting, I have also used the X2 and think its a great daypack, tough tough packs cant complain!

My J107 is the BEST hunting, scouting, guide pack I have ever used here in AZ.... It has it all for me, without getting too big.

The Blue widow may be better for long range backpack hunts or bow hunting... But, I have only used mine so far for packing meat... and it does well for that.

I have a buddy that really likes his X1, but he uses a packframe for meat haulingso it is plenty for him.

If you are looking to own just one... the J107 dragonfly is the ONE...IMO.

I've got the J105, and it is a great pack for certain types of hunts. It's a lot to carry around for a daypack, IMO, but if you get a long way from roads the ability to haul out your meat without making extra trips in is huge. I use it now mostly to carry a double-bull blind around which it does quite well.

For my hunting style, I go bare minimum - just a high-capacity fanny pack with shoulder straps (Cabela's Hybrid 2-in-1). If I happen to get something I hang it and come back with the J105. It will handle a full elk quarter no problem, bone-in, or a full deer boned out. 50-90 pounds is not a problem. I just don't like carrying that much pack while hunting. Even though it sinches down really small and tight, it feels hot and big for carrying around the basics like optics, a tripod and lunch.

I like to stay pretty mobile, so I prefer the style of the Cabela's Hybrid or the Badlands Monster Fanny. You can strap on a Slick Sprint tripod, a stool, carry all your optics, field dressing tools, game bags, food, water, and even your first-aid/emergency essentials, and still not feel like you're carrying around a big pack all day. I even carry my 15's for long-range glassing and don't feel bogged down. However, if you go in light with a that type of fanny, you're probably going to have to come back in to haul out the meat. That's when you hang it up in bags, go back to camp, and come back the next day with a frame pack or J105/J107, and a buddy or two.

If you absolutely have to go in hard, carry in all your gear, and pack out heavy, you should look at the Kifaru or KUIU packs. These are packs built with sheep hunters in mind and are definatly top-shelf packs. They are pricey, but they are designed for guys who have to pack into the roughest country around and come back out with substantially more weight than they came in with.

I have both badlands 2200 and 4500 and the J107 Dragonfly and love the 107. It is the best pack I have ever used...

I have the J107 Dragonfly and love it. I have had it for a few years and it has been the best pack I have used. It is not perfect and I have two main complaints but I do love it!

Like all/most eberlestock packs, the shoulder straps could use a little more padding. When carrying out my brothers buck (in the pack, whole) it was digging into my shoulders pretty well and left from bruising. I know the pack really isnt meant to carry 130 pounds or so. It got the job done but could have been a little more comfortable. Also, the top/fanny pack part is a pain in the asss to get to stay clipped on. I am constantly fighting with that.

i have the j105 and absolutely ,love it, like everyone said, big enough to pack out a whole javelina, deer, elk quartes, but it will zip up for less and more compressed room. i love mine. real comfortable

I have had the X1 for about 3 years now and I really like the pack a lot. I use the rifle scabbord for my tripod and it works perfectly.The only complaint I have is my torso is too long for the pack so the hip belt rides too high. Well built packs though.

AZR brought up another point. All eberlestock hip belts feel really high on me too. When the packs are loaded, it is just right. It was akward at first, but it takes the weight off my shoulders really well. Top notch customer service too. I've called more than once for replacement buckles. They just ask for my address and ship them out.

I use the X2. I have had it for the past few seasons. I LOVE IT. last year I packed enough junk in it to do a 3 day over night plus tripod and gun. Its not the biggest pack but just right for what I do. packed out a few coues last year in it. also 2 bulls in quarters. Weight is weight no matter what but this pack rides nice and weighs very little when empty.

If you are a bigger build I have heard that the internal frame rubs on the hip bones a bit, but Im 6'2" 190# and I don't have that problem, just something I heard.

Eberlestock seems to have good customer service so that is always a plus. The other good news about the X2 is the price I think you can find it most places around $160 which is half of the J107.

Good luck finding what makes ya happy.

-sam