Sign in to follow this  
oz31p

the snakes are out.

I was out hanging trail cameras at about 4000ft and per regular for this area I found this snake rattling at me. I would have walked about 10ft from and never seen it. Next time I bet he Keeps quite.lol I've never been known for my skinnin skills.

post-4310-0-85274600-1303602540_thumb.jpg

Nice, I may have to start driving some roads again after work to see what I can find.

even with no head they give me the willys while skinning them cause they keep trying to strike you. in my whitetail area i normaly kill atleast one on evey summer trip while scouting. i think i killed 8 last year just in this area scouting during the summer. i had one last year that was an arizona black rattle snake that was bigger that this one but after pelting him with rocks it was not worth skinning.

ps i hate snakes too.

Your skinning skills could use some work but that's a big asss snake!!

And yes they are out... Had to help a coworker remove many deeplp embedded prickly pear thorns after falling all over hinself getting away from a rattler.

Here's one I killed near Tucson back when I liked hunting snakes. It's around 67" long, without the head.

post-478-0-46643700-1303710526_thumb.jpg

These days, I just go on past them.

Just noticed, yours is a timber rattler. Haven't seen on like that in a long time. 4000 Feet? Was it desert?

no its not desert it cedars. this area is about a third timber a third diamond back and a third black.

I don't think timber rattlesnakes inhabit AZ, and from the photo it is hard to tell what subspecies it is. Here are the choices of those in the state, though. I'm guessing black-tailed, which is found throughout much of the state.

Massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus)

Mohave Rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus)

Prairie Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis)

Sidewinder (Crotalus cerastes

Speckled Rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchelli)

Twin-spotted Rattlesnake (Crotalus pricei)

Tiger Rattlesnake (Crotalus tigris)

Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi)

Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox)

Black-tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus molossus)

Arizona Black Rattlesnake (Crotalus cerberus)

Western Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus)

Rock Rattlesnake (Crotalus lepidus)

from a snake expert that is most definately a blacktail...What people commonly mistake as a timber are the arizona black rattlesnake's which are a subspecies of the timber...

I killed a very aggresive rattler down by Gila Bend about 6 weeks ago. I heard him rattling when I drove past him in my truck. Usually we like to set up right where I found him for shooting coyotes, but I went past the area this time. He was already coiled and up ready to strike when I stopped about 15 feet from him. I don't know how to judge there age, but he had at least 8 rattles and had some broke off. We also saw two bull snakes on the same day. David