Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Bowhunting Rabbits

Ok I admit it! I'm a Archery Addict! I need to attend some AA Meetings (Archers Anonymous)!!! :lol: :P :lol: I have been going out bowhunting rabbits at least once a week! Basspro, Cabelas, Pse pro shop,etc... anywhere that has archery gear it's like a magnet...I'm like a moth attracted to the flame .....oh well you get the point! B)

Anyway heres some photos of a few of the rabbits I've taken! Shots ranged from 25 to 60 yards!

post-940-0-80098900-1304739818_thumb.jpg

post-940-0-03580000-1304739841_thumb.jpg

post-940-0-59787200-1304739868_thumb.jpg

post-940-0-85765000-1304739888_thumb.jpg

I used to walk the ditch banks on the ranch with a recurve and a couple cedar arrows with .357 cases on the ends to make them blunts. Had a blast doing it and got pretty good towards the end there. I haven't tried it with my compound, don't want to use a $15+ arrow on a bunny.

Good shooting! Have you been eating the jackrabbits? I had some awhile back and it was excellent meat.

Amanda, The Antelope Jack in the first photo is really good eating! The blacktail's are not as tasty!

That's interesting...the one I ate was an antelope jackrabbit and I was impressed how good it was. I will have to try a blacktail and see if I get the same results as you.

Are you using aluminum arrows? I always worry about those carbons cracking when they hit the ground after the jackrabbit

I'm using Carbon Arrows (Carbon Express Mayhem 350). I haven't had any problems with the arrows cracking after hitting the jack and then the ground.

Are you using aluminum arrows? I always worry about those carbons cracking when they hit the ground after the jackrabbit

I'm using Carbon Arrows (Carbon Express Mayhem 350). I haven't had any problems with the arrows cracking after hitting the jack and then the ground.

i shoot them with carbons as well only time i have them crack or brake is when i drill rocks after the rabbit haha

Best practice to get ready for fall archery, in my opinion. Lots of fun too!!!

post-1571-0-38438800-1305075226_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-69794300-1305075247_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-39257300-1305075339_thumb.jpg

Im kinda new to the small game aspect of rabbit hunting. I know some people posted recipes (in the food section) and mentioned eating rabbits in this thread. Whats the deal?... every one i talk to said to only hunt/eat them in months ending in "R". Is that true? something to do with parasites, fleas, and ticks.

Is there a safe handling method to make them worth while all year round?

Guest akaspecials

Im kinda new to the small game aspect of rabbit hunting. I know some people posted recipes (in the food section) and mentioned eating rabbits in this thread. Whats the deal?... every one i talk to said to only hunt/eat them in months ending in "R". Is that true? something to do with parasites, fleas, and ticks.

Is there a safe handling method to make them worth while all year round?

It's probably Tularemia concerns. A quick internet search will bring up a lot more details. The rule of thumb I've always been taught was only hunt rabbits after the first hard freeze, so the sick ones die off. I never shoot/eat a sick looking rabbit either.

My son shot one Sunday, and the ears were covered with ticks, some the size of the end joint of my little finger. We will probably wait until we get some cold weather before we start eating any.