Sign in to follow this  
huntjunkie

Fall Black Bear

While scouting for elk in New Mexico we were climbing out of a canyon trying to locate a bugling bull I looked over my shoulder and across the canyon was a beautiful 340 class 6x6 bull and his cow staring at us. So we froze hoping we wouldn't spook them. As we played the staring game I heard some tree branches breaking down the canyon .Then I remembered that there was a lot of fresh bear scat and broken oak branches at the bottom the canyon. I slowly turned my head toward Kyle (my brother)and whispered "that's a bear breaking branches". We slowly started inching down towards the bottom of the canyon.

We got to the bottom of the canyon and dropped our packs. Kyle grabbed the video camera and I knocked an arrow. The conditions were almost perfect a nice brisk wind was blowing up the canyon. There was also a fair amount of noise from birds, rustling oak leaves, and acorns dropping from the trees. We moved in about 70 yards and got a visual on the bear feeding. So we stopped made a game plan of how I should make the stalk. The next thirty minutes was slow going but I managed to get 40 yards from the bear. But I didn't want to shoot over thirty yards so I need to close the final 10 yards. While we were moving in the bear was moving around feeding on acorns that had fallen to ground. He would move in and out of that thirty yard range but never presented me with the shot I wanted. I would draw and let down, draw and let down we played this game for about 10 minutes. This bear was a really nice bear and a definite shooter. As he was feeding with his head down he started woofing and huffing. Why was he doing this? He had no idea we were there. What was going on? Then I caught movement to my left. I slowly turn my head. Holy Smokes!!!! A big bear was moving in and chased off the "small bear". I turned and looked at Kyle and I'll never forget the look on his face! The big bear began feeding in the spot he took from small bear. And small bear moved off just to my left about 40 yards and began feeding again. Within seconds I had two bears to choose from. Obviously I wanted the big bear. Now I had to keep an eye on both bears. At this point I was trembling like a leaf, we had the two biggest bears I had ever seen at 40 yards. When I would try to range find the bears I couldn't get a reading because I was shaking so bad. I had to range the ground in front of them. As I was closing the last few yards the big bear started moving off to my right. I ranged an opening he would walk through, 30 yards, perfect! As he went behind a group of trees I drew. As soon as he walked to the spot I ranged I let out a maaa… to stop him. He stopped and looked at me, giving me the shot I was waiting for. I settled in my thirty yard pin and….. WACK!!!! When the arrow hit him he let a bone chilling growl. Oh boy, I've done it now! He's ticked and my gun is in my pack a hundred yards behind me. He immediately spun in a circle and took off running right at Kyle who was looking through the view finder in the video camera. When he realized that the bear was running straight at him, he took off running ( with no shoes on)video camera still recording, screaming, OH, SHEEE, OH SHEEE, OH SHEE! As the bear ran by me at 30 ft I tried to knock another arrow while I'm screaming, shoot'em Kyle shoot'em! I see Kyle running up the canyon like the road runner being chased by whylie coyote! A few seconds later the bear turns and runs away from Kyle. His run quickly slows to a walk and then he falls over against a tree. I finally had another arrow knocked and drew for another shot when Kyle yells," he's done Stan, he's done". He ran a total of 80 yards and expired. After calming down and giving a few high fives we walked over to my bear. It was unbelievable! I couldn't believe I had just taken this monster. He has a beautiful thick black coat with no rubs or scares. His official score is 20 1/16 P&Y. Not bad for a first bear!

VIDEO CLIP

post-5179-0-87777300-1305955071_thumb.jpg

post-5179-0-39902700-1305955123_thumb.jpg

post-5179-0-01974500-1305955226_thumb.jpg

post-5179-0-49538300-1305955286_thumb.jpg

I still can't believe the size of that bear! Seeing it first hand is awesome! You gotta get that video posted. When the bear charges the camera that is the funniest thing I have ever seen! Congrats again Stan on an amazing archery bear! Did you ever find out how he ranks P&Y in NM?

I felt like I was standing there with you as you told the story. Great job of that and a big congratulations to you and Kyle pulling that off. One of the biggest bears I've seen on here or any place else for that matter. Thanks for sharing and I too will be waiting for the video portion of your exciting, to say the least, hunt. :)

TJ

I couldn't find anywere that keeps state by state records. If anyone know if there is such a thing that would be great. According to P&Y it was the biggest bear taken in New Mexico last year(that was recorded). NMGF estimated him at 8 yrs old.I'll work on the video. I have my guess but what would you guys guess his weight? I know this much it took both of us to roll him over while skinning him. the hide and head was to heavy for a pack frame. We had to find a long staight branch to drape it over to carry it out. It only took 3 hrs to skin!!

Great story! My heart was pumping while I read it as I felt like I was right there with you. Thanks for sharing and a big congrats on a beast of a black bear! Can't wait to see the video!

-Tracy

I echo all the comments above. Fantastic, well told story!