Sign in to follow this  
huntjunkie

Fall Black Bear

Congrats on a monster!!!!

What a tremendous bear.

That is a very nice boar! My dad shot a big boar very similar in size to yours back in the mid 90's. The bear was so big that both he and my uncle had to roll him over to gut him (just like your story)... The bear was big enough to snap a 'come-along' jack rated for 350 lbs that they had in camp (after he had been gutted). My dad could only guess at his weight, until our taxidermist recommended that he use Al LeCounts' weight estimation equations. Mr. LeCounts studied bears here in Arizona for many years and has written several papers on his research back from the 70's. From his research he developed an equation relating chest girth measurement to live weight of black bears in AZ. There have been many other such studies and equations developed over the years by numerous biologists. Below is a link to an article that mentions several such equations (Including Mr. LeCounts). If you didnt measure the chest girth of your boar you can still get a pretty good guess by holding out your arms...that should put you in the ball park (espoecially if you tried to wrap your arms around the bear in the field).

Out of curiosity what were the dimensions of your bear? What did square out to?

Again congrats on a trophy of a life time and please let me know what you come up with on a weight guess if you try out some of the equations!

My link

Sorry no video yet. Its in Mac format and I have a PC. Coming soon now that life is back to "normal". As far as weight and square on him I dont know. I'm doing a full mount on him. I tubed him out, so hopefully once he's mounted I can get an estimate. I know this, to roll him over it was one of those... ok, ready 1,2,3(gruntin, cussin, freak.....!!!!) Labor Day weekend is my lucky weekend! almost a year to the day I shot my bear I shot my first buck(archery). posting it soon on the Mule Deer Discussion Fourm.

Yea, gets my heart pounding everytime! Funny thing is that was my brothers 2nd time in 2 months having a bear come at him! Bad luck i guess, but it sure funny! Thats why he makes the comment " I dont know what it is with me and bears" Lol!!