Sign in to follow this  

AZGFD Survey

If you can't find the time to do the survey or attend meetings then IMO you don't need to take the time to get on here and disagree with everything azgfd does. I think they do a good job overall. IMO :)

TJ

ps......thanks for posting.

I voted for a decrease tag allocation in change for increased population of animals. AZGFD is handing out too many tags. If they cant lower tags due to the need of funding then at least add an antler restriction 3 point or better! Anyway JMO have a great weekend.

I took the survey this morning....would have like the question of "do you think harvest reporting should be mandatory"

If you can't find the time to do the survey or attend meetings then IMO you don't need to take the time to get on here and disagree with everything azgfd does. I think they do a good job overall. IMO :)

TJ

ps......thanks for posting.

+1

I took the survey this morning....would have like the question of "do you think harvest reporting should be mandatory"

Absolutley!!

++++++++++++++++++1!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the survey.

I am probably going to start a riot here but oh well.

I would rather go hunting every year, as opposed to tagging a record book animal every few years. Hunting is just way too important to me.

If tagging a record book animal is so important to you, and you would rather have fewer tags handed out each year start applying in the areas that are already designated for that. By voting to have this occur accross the entire state you affect all hunters, even those who want to get out and hunt regardless of trophy potential. I am not against creating one or two whitetail units similar to what they do north of the dich for the mule hunters, however, thats not the way I interpreted the current proposals from the survey.

I also want to make a statement that I truly belive the Game and Fish is doing a great job considering the resources they have available to them. :)

Like I said earlier, thanks for posting the survey. Everyone should complete it.

I personally felt the question about killing trophy or going hunting more is misleading.... Isn't that like all the questions they posed in the last survey?

With decreased permits & healthier herds across the board, you will increase your chances of killing MATURE deer & in some cases might spread the applicants around. I personally want to hunt as much as I can, but I want a quality experience & a healthier herd first. Below are some AZ General Deer Tag Numbers:

1962-92,000

2009-43,000

So, we have lost 50K general deer permits & we are now managing them at 10-20 bucks per 100 does, it doesn't make sense.

They are limited resources & we have less land & habitat for them to live in. We have plenty of opportunity to go HUNTING, it's the quality every one wants & it's simply supply & demand. I go hunting every year in AZ! I have an over the counter archery deer tag, unlimited bobcats, coyotes, foxes, small game & PLENTY of draw hunts with 50% odds or better if I want them. We have Javelina tags that can't be given away...

Quality does not mean TROPHY, quality means value & retention!

Check out these maps:

15A&B Encroachment, Loss of deer tags & the Average hunter

I personally felt the question about killing trophy or going hunting more is misleading.... Isn't that like all the questions they posed in the last survey?

With decreased permits & healthier herds across the board, you will increase your chances of killing MATURE deer & in some cases might spread the applicants around. I personally want to hunt as much as I can, but I want a quality experience & a healthier herd first. Below are some AZ General Deer Tag Numbers:

1962-92,000

2009-43,000

So, we have lost 50K general deer permits & we are now managing them at 10-20 bucks per 100 does, it doesn't make sense.

They are limited resources & we have less land & habitat for them to live in. We have plenty of opportunity to go HUNTING, it's the quality every one wants & it's simply supply & demand. I go hunting every year in AZ! I have an over the counter archery deer tag, unlimited bobcats, coyotes, foxes, small game & PLENTY of draw hunts with 50% odds or better if I want them. We have Javelina tags that can't be given away...

Quality does not mean TROPHY, quality means value & retention!

Check out these maps:

15A&B Encroachment, Loss of deer tags & the Average hunter

+1 on the bias in that question, i get tired of the questions that leave me two options, neither of which represent what or why I prefer something.

and plus 1 on your comment: Quality does not mean TROPHY, quality means value & retention!

As CEI said, anyone in AZ can go hunting every year given the over the counter archery deer tags, the gobs of left over javelina tags, the plentiful small game and predator hunting, and several whitetail units that have 100% draw odds year after year.

Quality hunts are not necessarily about bagging a trophy. There seems to be a large bias within the dept with regard to to the belief that trophy hunting = bad and hunting opportunity = good. Personally I think it does the dept no good to offer lots of opportunity but have hunts with such low success, high crowding, and low buck:doe ratios that some hunters get discouraged/alienated. It just seems like poor customer service. Of course I know they are stuck between a rock and a hard place with this issue because they constantly hear from hunters how they don't get drawn. And I support the dept's current strategy of dealing with this dichotomy by having alternative mgmnt units. But what I get a little tired of is equating quality hunts with purely a trophy hunting motive. I don't think that represents what hunters truly enjoy about these seasons. I think it belittles the extra enjoyment/satisfaction that alternative seasons provide.

Wanting to hunt elk in the rut during an archery season is not necessarily about bagging a trophy. I belive for most it's about getting out in the woods at a magical time of year and experiencing that with fewer other hunters around. Getting within a few yards of a bull screaming it's head off is just an amazing experience. Similarly, Dec WT hunters enjoy the Dec season not only because they might get a mature buck, but because it's cooler weather, the rut is starting (ie more deer activity during the day), and it's less crowded. So to me, alternative management is not so much about providing a trophy but providing a different type of hunting experience. A hunting experience where the animals are more active and the hunter density is lower.

Whitetail deer hunter satisfaction compared with season is shown in the graph below. This represents the opinion of over 6500 hunters who took the cooperative AGFD/AZ Deer Association survey a few years ago.

post-1-0-34574400-1307296170_thumb.jpg

Attached is a PDF of a letter the AZ Deer Association and some retired AGFD biologists crafted regarding the current hunt guideline recommendations.

Please read through this and see if you agree with the AZ Deer Association's position/comments. Feel free to echo some of those comments when you submit comments to the dept regarding the hunt guidelines.

2011 ADA guideline comments 5-24.pdf

Amanda,

I couldn't agree with you more...

Out of curiosity, where did the ADA come up with proposed units to include throughout the state for the alternate management strategies?

It's just my opinion, but I think 18B is not the best choice in Region 3. 16A is the largest unit (most permits too) & has the least amount of access issues, with regards to public land. It's within close proximitiy of Kingman, Lake Havasu & Bullhead City; which are three out of the four largest cities within Region 3 & it is very accesible from the valley.

Again, it's just my opinion and I applaud the ADA for again fighting this battle for it's members & all AZ hunters. (18B would be my second choice, but I will take it!!!)

Thanks,

Craig

Attached is a PDF of a letter the AZ Deer Association and some retired AGFD biologists crafted regarding the current hunt guideline recommendations.

Please read through this and see if you agree with the AZ Deer Association's position/comments. Feel free to echo some of those comments when you submit comments to the dept regarding the hunt guidelines.

2011 ADA guideline comments 5-24.pdf