Sign in to follow this  
Dodger2

Horseshoe 2 Fire

In the early 1950s my dad's father, my grandfather, built our family cabin (by hand) in West Turkey Creek in the Chiricahuas with my dad running around in diapers. My grandfather hauled the rocks in his 1941 International truck to build the cabin. As time went on, it eventually got to the point that my dad was then bringing my brother and I up to the same cabin. I grew up deer hunting and learning how to fly fish on Turkey Creek on rainbow trout that ended up in the creek. I can remember running around with my first bow and arrow, a tan fiberglass bow with cheap wooden arrows. My parents still laugh about the day I (I was about 8) came running into the cabin telling them I was going to shoot the turkey. Not believing me, they said go ahead. I came back in telling them again, I'm gonna get that turkey. At that point, my dad steps outside with me and then realizes that there really were about 4 turkeys on the hill across the road. That was before the Gould's Turkeys had been relocated. The turkeys lived to see another day....I remember watching my dad fall through the ceiling installing the plumbing. I remember having to walk across the road to use the outhouse before there was indoor plumbing. There are many, many more memories from my childhood as I "grew up" in that canyon. To be honest, I almost got to the point that I thought it was "my canyon."

Of course, my brother and I got older, and now we have been able to bring our children up there and started creating new memories....

Unfortunately, we got the news on 06/08/11 that we lost our cabin in the Horseshoe 2 Fire. The memories will always be there, but right now I'm crushed, frustrated, more than furious, and I could go on and on....

Our cabin November of 2010...deer season...

post-499-0-10577000-1307634786_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-22660000-1307635429_thumb.jpg

Our cabin as of June 8, 2011...

post-499-0-09636400-1307635535_thumb.jpg

My sincerest apologies and condolences.

In my family, there is a cabin that has been in the family more than double my time on this earth. My entire family would be devastated as I am sure yours is.

I can feel your pain many times over.

Just terrible, so many people just like you and your family. I know a lot of these cabins were built with blood and sweat. I spent many hours glassing the Turkey Creek area. I'm a drywall contractor here in Tucson, let me know when your getting close to the drywall phase. I'd like to volunteer a day or two to help out with the taping and texturing. God bless you and your family and all the unlucky ones out there right now.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Great memories can never be taken away. I love the Chiri's and it pains me to see the HS2 and Wallow fires swallow up huge acres of forest. With Turkey Creek taking a hit, along with Rustler's plus Rucker Canyon gone, it's going to be long sad summer.

My wife doesn't know what to say to me. She knew it was important to me, but I dont think she knew how important. My parents lost their house 4 years ago to a fire. My in-laws lost their cabin in the Aspen Fire on Mt Lemmon. Its getting old. If you look in the lower right hand corner you can see another cabin that was spared. The ridge in the background appears to be green still as well....hopefully the fire is done in that area. The rancher that took these said the fire has been really spotty. A total of 3 burned out of 15...I guess it must be in our genes..........

My sincerest condolences for you and your family Dodger, my family and I have enjoyed numerous camping trips in Turkey Creek, it is a truly amazing area.

I am so sorry for you and your family. This fire has been going since May 8, a whole month! Has the FS been fighting this fire or what? The wollow fire did not start until 3 weeks later. Where were the resources to fight the Horseshoe 2 fire? Was this a USFS "let it burn"?

Mark

• Like 1

Really sorry about this. I would also be happy to lend a hand with clean up and repair. I live in safford so it is not too far of a drive.

Thats terrible...sorry for your loss. Maybe you can rebuild. You still have the rock and start from there. I know it would be worth it and if you had any insurance on it that will be a big help to. Good luck and I hope things turn for the better for you guys.

I'm very sorry to hear your story. What great memories.