Sign in to follow this  
Timberghost

straight fletching or helical?

I have always had straight fletchings (2" Blazers). My brother said right helical will get better arrow flight with a fixed blade broadhead. Any thoughts?

I've done straight fletch with slight offset and had great flight with slick tricks out to 80 yards.

My old archery coach Jack Pate said, It doesn't matter if you shoot broadheads or just field points you always have a right twist or helical. Just like a bullet your accuracy depends on the rotation! You should use a right helical, it will improve your long range accuracy.

Not sure how much effect a helical will be with only a 2" vane.

I've fletched both, straight and helical. You do loose speed with a helical but will get more arrow stabilization.

I've not tried it with low profile broadheads, but with the mechanicals, I doubt you'll need helical.

FWIW

If you're shooting a fixed blade past 40 yards I would definitely say helical. Helical fletching will cause the arrow to straighten out faster and compensate for minor flaws in shot execution better than straight or offset. More helical = more arrow drag = less speed & more noise. Different type of fletchings all have their own "good and bad" so you have to decide what you want. Go ahead and fletch up some arrows with different combos and see what you like the best. I shoot a radical right helical on all my arrows.

Does it matter if you shoot a whiskers biscuit vs a dropdown rest?

I have shot through a drop away rest and I now use a Wisker biscuit rest. My arrows are dressed with 3" right helical veins and shoot very accurate out to 80 yrds. As I stated earlier like a bullet an arrow will fly straighter and more accurately if it has the stabilization of it spiraling during flight.

If I were you I would get an AZ Fletcher and use Fusion fletches....im able to hit a 12 in group out to 110 yards. I recommend helical.

From what I have seen the helical and whisker biscuits don't always work well together. The fletching already have a little bit of friction to them when passing through the biscuit. The helical makes even more friction between the two and can actually start to tear the whiskers up. It probably depends on the brace height of the bow as well but I am not sure. I have seen a lot of guys complain about the accuracy of their bow and you look at the whisker biscuit and it is all torn up. When we put drop away rests on these bows it usually fixes the problem.

I does sound like Elkhuneter is using one with no problems however so it must not always be the case.

My Whisker Biscuit is fairly new and you are right as the biscuit gets worn down you need to change it just like any sound dampening you place on your rest.

From what I have seen the helical and whisker biscuits don't always work well together. The fletching already have a little bit of friction to them when passing through the biscuit. The helical makes even more friction between the two and can actually start to tear the whiskers up. It probably depends on the brace height of the bow as well but I am not sure. I have seen a lot of guys complain about the accuracy of their bow and you look at the whisker biscuit and it is all torn up. When we put drop away rests on these bows it usually fixes the problem.

I does sound like Elkhuneter is using one with no problems however so it must not always be the case.

Anyone making their own arrows fletching with a Jo-Jan multiple arrow jig? I've been thinging about starting, but I'm not sure I'm patient enough to do one arrow at a time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone making their own arrows fletching with a Jo-Jan multiple arrow jig? I've been thinging about starting, but I'm not sure I'm patient enough to do one arrow at a time :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use a jo-jan single fletcher.. I just put on some country music in my garage and sit at my work bench with a brew and a cigar. I have more patience that way!