firstcoueswas80

what to carry for javelina

Amanda:

With one exception, javelina meat tastes to me like biting into a ditch digger's underarm in August.

That exception is when it is buried and barbecued Mexican-style in a mesquite fired-pit until the meat falls off the bone. Add a pot of red beans, some cole slaw, and a few warm corn tortillas and I'll arm wrestle you for the first plate.

Bill Q

Take the lever action. My brother got me a nice marlin 44mag for my birthday and boy do I wish I had the general javi tag instead of my achery tag. All of your calibers (mine too) are over kill but head/neck shots are good ideas.

I also like javi meat, especially the younger ones, not to much meat but still good.

:P

Be sides the quality of the meat all comes down to feild dressing and care. I have a system that is a bit(a bunch) over kill but the meat turns out great.

I for one am really looking forward to the Javi hunt this year!

:P

Guest Ernesto C
Amanda:

With one exception, javelina meat tastes to me like biting into a ditch digger's underarm in August.

That exception is when it is buried and barbecued Mexican-style in a mesquite fired-pit until the meat falls off the bone. Add a pot of red beans, some cole slaw, and a few warm corn tortillas and I'll arm wrestle you for the first plate.

Bill Q

Bill,that's exactly the way to do it,it's called "barbacoa" in spanish;also another great way to do it and it looks and taste simillar is "birria". Has any of you ever tried the deer birria??

Ernesto C

Ernesto

I never tried "birria," but I would like to. How is it prepared?

Years ago when I was president of its Past Shooters Club we used to host 30-40 members of the One Shot Antelope Hunt Club from Wyoming and elsewhere.

Everyone brought their shotguns or bows and a few friends and I took them quail and javelina hunting. It was quite a bash.

I got to be very good at pit barbecuing. The four or five pigs our group shot each year were frozen and cooked the next year. Everyone raved about our meat.

We ended the hunts when our guests could no longer buy archery pig tags over the counter.

Bill

;)

so is the vote for the .243? dad will be carrying the 22-250, it is between my remington rand .45, my XD-40, 30-30 and .243

I say .243 all the way. That's just me though. I use mine for deer and javelina, hasn't failed me yet.

Casey,

You gotta see this as an opportunity to get that perfect piggie gun. The closest, the 22-250 and 243, are spoken for. Your 270's will cut em in half like that jack rabbit in 5BN :D .

Really could be time for a new Mathews, Hoyt, AR, or Bowtech and expand the hunting seasons. Bows are legal during rifle seasons too :D .

RR

RedRabbit and i went out today and the 30-30 and the .45 made the trip. i was REALLY impressed at how well the 30-30 shot, hit the spinner 3 times (puttin some nice dents in it, sorry doug!)i am pretty sure i am going to carry my 30-30 as my main rifle, but my XD-40 on my hip in case i can get REAL close to em!

:) 30-30 gets the job done.

I have a 30-30 my self and I belive is a nice handy rifle. Hor came out with new ammo for lever action rifles. It really has done a good job. really increased the distance of the 30-30.

With that bullet "lever revolution" i will down my coues next season!

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=198 CHeck it out.

My favorite would be a bolt action 30-30 with a scope and get within 75 yards. If you get into a herd of them, pick the medium sized one and make a well placed shot just barely behind the shoulder. Don't go to far back as a Javelina's guts are a lot closer to the shoulder porportional wise then a deer. I chose a 30-30 because you have a slow bullet that expands well and doesn't tear up much meat. Young Javelina is in my opinion the best meat out there. You can cook it barbeque style or just plane pork chops and sausage. If you do it pork chop style, just coat it with a little flour, and get your bacon grease real hot. It's awesome. Now if you bag an old boar, it's definately going to be a little stronger. I found making a sausage mixture with spices is the best. The most important thing to me is to make a quick clean kill and get the animal gutted and skinned as soon as possible. Hunting them with a bow is fun, but I've found the meat doesn't taste as good because the animal usually will "scent" or be on alarm after you shoot them. A gun shot will have that "shock" value to knock them out before they know what's happening. Just my 2 cents. :)

Travis

Amanda:

Bill Q

Bill,that's exactly the way to do it,it's called "barbacoa" in spanish;also another great way to do it and it looks and taste simillar is "birria". Has any of you ever tried the deer birria??

Ernesto C

Ernesto, Birria is good eatin, I have never tried deer birria but I would like to. Do you have a recipe?