Sign in to follow this  
oz31p

what type of scent control do you guys use

with season fast approaching ive been trying to control all variables i can. one of the last is scent control. ill be in a pop up blind. in the past ive washed my clothing in detergent for wild life research. i [plan on doing more this year.

what products do you guys use,

My fallback had always been bathing, but my wife says its not working...

My fallback had always been bathing, but my wife says its not working...

Me too but I hate to use by back up plan right off the bat.lol

I have been having good luck wearing Xscent base layers with the silver thread in it . Even in 100 degree weather it's pretty comfortable with it's wicking effect and it will kill any pit smell before it happens. I also wear a light hood to help contain my breath.

Of course a sparay down with a scent kiling spray also helps.

1st: wind

It isn't always easy to get the wind right, especially in a blind. Ive tried scent lock base layers, sprays, scent wafers, stashin my clothes in the woods before I put em on, special detergents. I'm sure all of it can, and will, help some. Most if the time in my experience, nothing beats good wind. When I'm goin into a blind I try not to sweat too much either, get up early and go slow.

It's all going to come down to "if" the deer smells you. Your body puts off microscopic molecules of odor that aren't detectable by humans. Deer break down smell more completely than a lot of other animals; they have a complex olfactory system.

You can wear and spray whatever you want however much you want. there will be molecules that leave your body that deer can smell. You have to get the wind right. Perhaps set up a couple different blinds where you want to hunt and sit the one with the best wind direction. IMO I wouldn't rely on a spray; the wind is a much better cover up for scent if you play it right....

It's all going to come down to "if" the deer smells you. Your body puts off microscopic molecules of odor that aren't detectable by humans. Deer break down smell more completely than a lot of other animals; they have a complex olfactory system.

You can wear and spray whatever you want however much you want. there will be molecules that leave your body that deer can smell. You have to get the wind right. Perhaps set up a couple different blinds where you want to hunt and sit the one with the best wind direction. IMO I wouldn't rely on a spray; the wind is a much better cover up for scent if you play it right....

+++1 But you should use scent eliminators and cover scents to guard against swirling wind!

+++1 But you should use scent eliminators and cover scents to guard against swirling wind!

I agree....but are there any products in particular that seem to work better than othersm

I had great luck the past few years wearing sent loc savana. Light weight and have been down wind of elk coues and mule deer. And none of them have smelt me. I also spray down good with dead down wind or sent killer. But I only wear my sentloc when I am making my final approach on a deer I keep it in a sent free bag and when I am out on a stalk I switch clothes so I don't get all sweaty in my sentloc. Just my 2 cents

Just my honest opinion....

wind, Wind, and WIND.

Very simple.

Exposed skin, breath, hair, etc is just as bad as last weeks gym shorts.

$900 in clothing is instantly defeated the moment you open your yapper.

It only takes a couple of molecules....

light weight Sentloc with face mask, gloves with knee high rubber boots, the last 6 coues bucks never saw the arrow coming.... :rolleyes:

alway have your stand up hill were you plan to shoot! = wind direction, remember the sun will push the wind ;)

Putting aside the wind element, it just makes sense that the stronger your odor the more likely it is that an animal will smell you. So the only things I have to add to the comments above is that I also take Chlorophyll capsules starting the week prior to and during the hunt and, I try to eat blander foods since what you eat has an impact on how you smell.

I use Hunters Specialties Sent-A-Way. It works just as good as the others and doesn't cost as much.

I agree....but are there any products in particular that seem to work better than othersm

None. Save your $$$. They don't work. wind wind wind wind.

ok guys, rememeber, i'm the smartest guy there is. the only thing that works is to keep the wind in your favor. there have been scientific "tests" that say some of this junk covers like 90+% of "replicated" human odor. why do you think they throw in replicated? think about it. and there have been other tests, by some pretty good universities, that say that all that stuff, especially the charcoal in the clothes, is a buncha BS. only way charcoal will work is if you are covered with it. i mean covered in it. the little bit they put in shoes and clothes doesn't do anything beneficial. and the sprays? c'mon, even i can smell that stuff you are spraying on. even if it did cover your scent, you still have the smell of the spray. and cover scents, now if that ain't stupid deal. go put skunk juice or something on to cover up your smell. you think a buck gets a whiff of a skunk he ain't gonna be looking for it? they don't like the way they smell either. if you want to cover your scent do the indian trick and stand in the smoke of your fire or rub fresh cut quakie and pine bark on ya, but that has it's limits. when i used to bow hunt a lot i wore clean clothes every day and made sure and took a bath with soap that didn't have any perfume. never put gas in my truck with my hunting clothes on. and kept the wind in my favor as much as i could. a ruttin' bull ain't too hard to fool most of the time. deer and other critters are more difficult to get in on. here's a trick a guy taught me. a circle has 360 degrees in it. draw one and put a dot where the animal you wanna shoot is and a dot where you are. or cut a circle out of a piece o' paper so you can move it around. imagine which way the breeze is blowing. you can keep the wind in your favor for for way over half of that circle. you have to look at it in a lotta angles, but you can stay out of a deer's nose pretty good. breezes are tricky and the terrain and brush and trees move it around, but if you get to where you can read it, you can come out on top a lot more. all this scent eliminator stuff is like camo and a lotta other stuff that is pretty much nonsense. it gives you a false sense of security. when you are trying to injun on something you need to have the biggest inferiority complex you can come up with so you will keep everything in mind. don't ever think you have the upper hand, because you don't. i use camo. a lot. but if an animal sees you move, you're busted. dark or neutral clothes work as good or better. same with smell. if they smell ya, you're busted. don't let em smell ya. only folks that benefit from scent eliminator stuff is the guys that sell it. Lark.