Sign in to follow this  
oz31p

what type of scent control do you guys use

With all that knowledge comes skepticism. Most of us don't rely on scent eliminators only. If one plays the wind right and moves slowly he could get busted by a shift in the wind or it swirling on him. The scent eliminators only enhance the chances of success in the field of infinite variables.

ok guys, rememeber, i'm the smartest guy there is. the only thing that works is to keep the wind in your favor. there have been scientific "tests" that say some of this junk covers like 90+% of "replicated" human odor. why do you think they throw in replicated? think about it. and there have been other tests, by some pretty good universities, that say that all that stuff, especially the charcoal in the clothes, is a buncha BS. only way charcoal will work is if you are covered with it. i mean covered in it. the little bit they put in shoes and clothes doesn't do anything beneficial. and the sprays? c'mon, even i can smell that stuff you are spraying on. even if it did cover your scent, you still have the smell of the spray. and cover scents, now if that ain't stupid deal. go put skunk juice or something on to cover up your smell. you think a buck gets a whiff of a skunk he ain't gonna be looking for it? they don't like the way they smell either. if you want to cover your scent do the indian trick and stand in the smoke of your fire or rub fresh cut quakie and pine bark on ya, but that has it's limits. when i used to bow hunt a lot i wore clean clothes every day and made sure and took a bath with soap that didn't have any perfume. never put gas in my truck with my hunting clothes on. and kept the wind in my favor as much as i could. a ruttin' bull ain't too hard to fool most of the time. deer and other critters are more difficult to get in on. here's a trick a guy taught me. a circle has 360 degrees in it. draw one and put a dot where the animal you wanna shoot is and a dot where you are. or cut a circle out of a piece o' paper so you can move it around. imagine which way the breeze is blowing. you can keep the wind in your favor for for way over half of that circle. you have to look at it in a lotta angles, but you can stay out of a deer's nose pretty good. breezes are tricky and the terrain and brush and trees move it around, but if you get to where you can read it, you can come out on top a lot more. all this scent eliminator stuff is like camo and a lotta other stuff that is pretty much nonsense. it gives you a false sense of security. when you are trying to injun on something you need to have the biggest inferiority complex you can come up with so you will keep everything in mind. don't ever think you have the upper hand, because you don't. i use camo. a lot. but if an animal sees you move, you're busted. dark or neutral clothes work as good or better. same with smell. if they smell ya, you're busted. don't let em smell ya. only folks that benefit from scent eliminator stuff is the guys that sell it. Lark.

No doubt the best defense against getting Busted is to have the wind in your favor , Buuutttt, sometimes that aint happenin. !!

I believe in the extra steps that can be taken by bathing in scent eliminating soaps and shampoos, using scent free deodorant and wearing some of the modern scent control clothing that is available. I honestly believe that I have been saved a few times from getting busted in swirling winds and when animals have circled my position by using scent eliminating products. Do I think that scent control is 100 % ? Nope, but i do believe that critters will tolerate lower levels of human scent more than they will if'n your a stinky son of a gun !

Before the scent eliminating products were readily avaible, I used to hunt hard in warm weather wearing those Cabela's cotton camo tees and Poly cotton blend pants. I would be smellin myself getting kinda ripe in a couple of days of hunting. I can bath up and spray down with the modern scent control products , slip into my silver thread X-scent baselayers along with my scent killin socks and boots and hunt a full 5 days with very little odor showing up at all.

I know deer can smell a bazillion times better than me but the point I would make is that whatever scent that is eliminated or toned down , will up the odds in your favor.

If anyone disagrees with me , well that's your right. Of course you'd be wrong but it is your right ! :lol:

I think All you non believers are just to cheap to crack that wallet and give the new technology a chance !!! :lol: :lol:

( Just so's some of you don't get all worked up that last part was an attemp at Humor ! )

A while back, lots of guys were making their own "scent elimination" sprays. Basically water, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Probably helps - especially de-scenting a blind.

I agree with the majority that if you don't play the wind right, you're hosed. But if you are sitting in a blind you don't have any control over the wind. I don't put any real trust in the sprays when it comes to spot and stalk, but in a blind I spray everything down, try to wear rubber boots when I can, even try to deodorize my clothes. Fact is, covering body emissions is a tiny part of it. Every time you exhale, your distinct, human odor is getting all over everything close to you. In these situations, probably the best thing you can do is not drink coffee and eat eggs and bacon before heading to your blind. Brush you teeth with baking soda or non-flavored toothpaste, try not to sweat too much, and hope for the best.

That said, one year I sat a blind less than 20 yards from a tank in a dry year. 13 bucks came in that day and several does. The young bucks were the dumbest of the bunch, and most walked right in. The does usually hung back until they saw the young bucks drinking. Some OK bucks showed up later, but either caught my smell or just figured something wasn't right, and got within bow range but never came all the way in. Luckily, a nice 3x3 came in late in the afternoon and when he got to the spot where the other bucks decided not to come in, he got a muzzy through the heart. :)

that tink's outfit used to make foxpiss flavored gum to cover your breath. they really did. i always wondered a couple things tho, how bad would it have to taste and how bad does somebodies breath have to be that foxpiss can make it better? Lark.

i don't. might taste like sody water. why don't ya taste some and tell us? i kinda think it might not be too good or there would be all kindsa stuff flavored with it. Lark.

Lol

No thanks your post almost looked like you has some first hand experiance.

I think my blind is set in the best spot as for the wind plus its about 15y above the spring its set on. But I ve alway been one to over analize every thing and plan a plan for every situation.

There's nothing else to do while waiting for season to open.

heck no, there are some things that even i won't do. i've peed on a 'lectric fence, been stun gunned jut for kicks, stuck a porkypine quill in my finger to see how hard it is to pull it out, caught a bobcat that was shot out of a tree so the hounds wouldn't tear it up, ate haggis, but fox piss gum is one deal i won't even try. another thing to do is don't eat any beans. had that mess up a stalk or 2. i have next to no experience with hunting in stands. i like to be on the ground and go to the game. Lark.

I carry a bag of deer poop and spread it all over my partners cloths when the wind gets bad....I carry this bag with my snake bite kit that I carry. works real well.

Look up final step cover scent... it's a new company from sw new mexico, there is nothing like it on the market and it is amazing. They have a website and on facebook. I recommend the juniper but the others are awesome as well!!

If you don't mind yourself beinging dirty use charcole it works great! :)

Great idea, Save the charcoal dust in the bottom of the charcoal bag. When you get ready to hunt sprinkle some on you. A little extra for the stinky spots, rub some on your face and you should beinging good to go. B)

I like to use the dead down wind soap in the shower.

I use whatever scent killer is on sale for my detergent in the laundry...

I really like the dead down wind and the primos silver spray in the field....

But if you want the best trick around... go to the health food store and buy a bottle of chlorophyll tabs... start taking them 10 days before your hunt... one or 2 a day IT TAKES YOUR HUMAN SCENT WAAAAY down! Truth... best trick out there!

August issue of Field and Stream had a Sniff Test article in it where they used a drug-sniffing dog to determine if scent-control measures made a difference. Results of the test where the same regardless of "Full Blown B.O" vs "Showered and Sprayed" vs "Compulsively Clean".