Sign in to follow this  
TexAz

243 Bullets

Two of the grandkids were drawn for the Kaibab youth hunt again this year. Last year they used a full size rifle and struggled because the stock was too long. I plan to buy a .243 youth rifle this year. What grain bullets are suggested for mule deer?

Get some of the Federal with the Barnes 85 grain Triple shock. They are the copper bullets. You may get them free if G&F still has the lead free program ongoing. Either way they are good bullets to use.

I am a Hornaday fan, either the 95 grain SST or the 100 grain BTSP are good choices. I would also like to comment on you purchasing a new 243. I just picked up a Remington model seven in .243, and really love this gun. I got the carbine, but the longer barrel would be good also. This gun is nice and lite, without much kick. I put a fixed power scope for fast handling on it also. works excellent. Good luck and have fun with the kids

I have used 100 gr hornaday on everything from jackrabbits to 2000# bulls since 1963 with great results.My dad worked the buffalo shoot for 23 years,and would let the hunter shoot until the animal was taking off.Then he would kill it.One year he shot 9 buffalo with 11 shots with my 243.+

If it were me and I was going factory ammo I would get the TSX as well. Bullets/ammo is the cheapest yet one of the most important parts of the hunt.... Dont go cheap on it as it truly can make the difference!

Thanks for the replys. I plan to purchase a savage youth model with the accutrigger. I have a savage 223. It is ugly but more accurate than some of my rifles that cost many times more. The kids had a great time on the youth hunt last year but I made a mistake having them shoot a full size rifle. They did OK off a bench but not so good in the field. The boy is 10 and the girl is 14 and she is 5'3" so a shorter rifle should be an improvement.

Ive had real good luck with factory Rem core lokts. The cheap 100gr pointed soft points. They arent any good for BCs and shooting 400yds+, but they wil get the job done. Ive used em on javelina, few muleys, coues, and one cow elk. Ive never loaded anything but varmint loads in a 243, so i'm no help on handloaded stuff for bug game in it.

My daughter is using a .270 instead of the .243. I bought a youth stock from Remington for my BDL and it fits her well after I cut the stock. I may have to get another youth stock next year and leave it at the factory size. I would rather spend another $90 than have the wood stock scratched up and I don't think she will outgrow it. She uses reduced recoil bullets (100grain) made by Remington and the recoil is actually less than a .243. In a few years I figure she can shoot regular bullets and have a more versatile rifle.

a 100 gr 243 bullet is a wonderful thing. if it's a factory load the remington corelokt are hard to beat and don't cost a lot. if it's a reload i'd suggest 100 gr hornady btsp innerlocks. inexpensive and they work real well. i have an old model 600 rem in 243 that my boys killed more deer with than i can recall. it's gets used by somebody every year now. Lark.

Thanks for the info. Casey, I appreciate the offer but I hate borrowing anything. I will probably use the Remington ammo for practice and Barnes on the hunt. Don't want to poison the Condors.

make sure the barnes and remingtons are gonna hit in the same place. there is a big difference in bullet length and usually a lot of difference in velocity. check it out close. Lark.

I would be shocked if the point of impact was the same for both bullets. Interestingly, last year the kids used a 30.06. I sighted the gun in using Barnes 165 grain ammo. The recoil was bothering my granddaughter so I purchased some Remington managed recoil ammo and the point of impact was less than 1/2 inch different that the full charge ammo.

Also make sure that you scrub the barrel really well before you start shooting those Barnes... The dont like to be shot on top of other bullets for some reason.

Sounds weird, but trust me on that one!